Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

I know. I have an addiction to quack.

LOL. My hubs would never sneak anything in my bators. He'd never find empty space.
I occasionally have to add water and sponges partway through hatch. Just be quick. No worries.
Fingers crossed. I love East Indies. Who did you get your eggs from?
Deep breath. Ducklings tend to come three days early for me. All my presets are accurate, but most of my eggs are super-fresh and I think that may be the variable.

I usually lock mine down when I candle and see the first internal pip. It's more reliable than any calendar for me.

If you've checked with more than one thermometer and your temp is right on, then I'm stumped.
Saddle cells look like they sound like they would. Usually occurs when eggs are shaken during shipping. I've got some locked down that are super-sketchy. Not doing the shipped eggs thing too many more times in this lifetime. I've got one that's got a Texas cell. As in: the air cell looks like the state of Texas!
I would average the three. I have one of those heat-reading laser guns and I'll zap individual eggs if I'm getting weird readings.
Hands off the eggies. Let them do their thing. I see you have a Hovabator. Is that the Genesis? You're golden. Best tabletop incubator ever.
Keep busy. That's my trick.
Glad you got rid of the stinker. Now hands off those eggies! :)
Hands are off! And yes, I do have the Genesis!!! Thanks for the reassurance- I'm happy to hear it's the best tabletop incubator ever. I'm thoroughly enjoying hatching ducklings! I actually want to do it this summer too but I don't have a place to keep them as pets. And I don't know if it's wrong to hatch them and send them to their farm after.
hu.gif
Oh, the humidity has stabilized! Woo hoo!

So look who made it out of her shell all by herself while Mum was at work!! I saw her little pip hole earlier and by God it was so hard to leave her. Came back at midday and there she was on the other side of the bator all by herself! (sorry pics a bit blurry, couldn't get her to stay still!). Below she's in the brooder with her chick buddies.

I can see dark spots in my other eggs, and wings - can't hear anything though, and I could the other day. I guess this is why they say hatching is so nerve-wracking, I'm sure they're still fine, but I just need reassurance!!! Don't want to take them out and candle. They're not due to hatch till Friday so I'll hang on till then and see what happens!

HEY JULES! I was going to ask how have you been
th.gif

SO all this rain is going to stop when ? God Made Mud for Ducks n Geese !

Haha remember your first time
lau.gif

Now your a
old.gif
Last year by this time of year it was hitting 100 degrees and not raining at all so I shouldn't complain....but I am! Lol, the weather is wacky this year! How've you been? How are the emu's? Dare I ask how many eggs you have going now, lol?
hide.gif

They are still in the shell, I can see beaks poking out. Have 3 more that just started to externally pip. They are coming out in different areas though, like the sidesnot the bottoms where they should.

I have more shipped eggs coming its tough to find the ducks I want close enough to pick up eggs or babies or trust me that's what I would have done. I have a total of 30 shipped eggs coming from various places of different color calls.
Shipped eggs seem to have bigger aircells, and especially on the wonky air cells they seem to pip in odd places because of it. Keep an eye on them, but as long as it's towards the bigger side and not the little end I wouldn't worry too much.
So look who made it out of her shell all by herself while Mum was at work!! I saw her little pip hole earlier and by God it was so hard to leave her. Came back at midday and there she was on the other side of the bator all by herself! (sorry pics a bit blurry, couldn't get her to stay still!). Below she's in the brooder with her chick buddies.

I can see dark spots in my other eggs, and wings - can't hear anything though, and I could the other day. I guess this is why they say hatching is so nerve-wracking, I'm sure they're still fine, but I just need reassurance!!! Don't want to take them out and candle. They're not due to hatch till Friday so I'll hang on till then and see what happens!

Congrats! I'm sure your other eggies are fine. If you need more reassurance I can usually get the eggs to wiggle by shining a bright light at them through the incubator windows with the room dark. Maybe you can get some wiggles trying that, but remember they nap a lot too.
wink.png

Ok, here's a question...

Can ducklings swim? If so, when can they start? We bought them little swimming pools but want to make sure it's ok to use.

Ok, here's a question...

Can ducklings swim? If so, when can they start? We bought them little swimming pools but want to make sure it's ok to use.
They can swim, but for short periods and need to be supervised. They aren't waterproof unless they have a momma duck. They'll waterlog pretty quickly and sink, and also will need a ramp to get out when they get tired. Once they have their feathers in they'll have their own oils and be fine to swim as they wish.

Thanks Julie NKC!

Well, I came in this morning to THREE adorable, cheeping, active ducklings!!!! Two Pekins and 1 Rouen. They are just precious!

But my fluffy yellow one has strange looking feet. What can I do?

Thanks Julie NKC!

Well, I came in this morning to THREE adorable, cheeping, active ducklings!!!! Two Pekins and 1 Rouen. They are just precious!

But my fluffy yellow one has strange looking feet. What can I do?

I was observing him or her a little more. He/She's moving around and can stand and the feet don't look like that when standing. I think it was my over paranoid self. Sorry all.

Back
Top Bottom