Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

OMG YOU GUYS!!! I just looked out the backdoor to check on the girls and there was an OWL SITTING ON MY COOP!!!!!

Oh My Gosh!!! I FREAKED OUT!!

I was like a foot and a half tall and it's wing span was probably 4 foot wide. I have NEVER seen a bird that freakin' big before!!!!

Right there sitting on my coop!! OMG.
How weird, never seen one during the day. Either it's starving or got chased from it's sleeping spot I'd guess. Get a pic! There's one that lives somewhere close to me. It's came within 20 feet of me several times at night. It's never killed a chicken, even though my pullets slept outside in a tree all summer until I managed to convince them to start sleeping in the run at least. They are huge aren't they?

I haven't gotten any chicken eggs in 4 days. Something weird is going on here...

are they penned up? or freerange.
if they free range maybe they are hiding their eggs.
ours pick a new spot everyday lately.
and the hend with babies that is penned up lays on the shelf in the chicken house.

if they are penned up is it chilly? when its kinda cold ours stop for a few days.
if its super cold. they usualy stop until it warms back up slightly
but they never completely stop.

and the owl thing would be scary!!

How weird, never seen one during the day. Either it's starving or got chased from it's sleeping spot I'd guess. Get a pic! There's one that lives somewhere close to me. It's came within 20 feet of me several times at night. It's never killed a chicken, even though my pullets slept outside in a tree all summer until I managed to convince them to start sleeping in the run at least. They are huge aren't they?

I initially looked out (as I do about every 30 minutes) to check on everybody, and saw this and thought "There's a hawk on my coop!!" Because it's day time.

But then I thought, NO WAY is that a hawk. It heard me open the door and took off and it's wings were HUGE. And it looked at me. Right in the eye.. as if to say, "I'm going to eat your chicken."

My girls are terrified right now. They won't come out of there house.

i leave for a couple of days and i have to learn a new language understand how you did that click to see thing
and eggs hatching owls on coops!! geeze cant you guys just freeze im busy!!!!

oh by the way HI!!!
frow.gif

I initially looked out (as I do about every 30 minutes) to check on everybody, and saw this and thought "There's a hawk on my coop!!" Because it's day time.

But then I thought, NO WAY is that a hawk. It heard me open the door and took off and it's wings were HUGE. And it looked at me. Right in the eye.. as if to say, "I'm going to eat your chicken."

My girls are terrified right now. They won't come out of there house.

They aren't scared at all. Neither are hawks. They come so close it's creepy. Never been so close to a hawk until I got my chickens. The owls are creepy though, when they finally do fly off you don't hear a sound. I think the one in our yard is there a lot more than I know, I just don't notice him unless he's hooting. There's 10 dozen squirrels that live in the yard, I think he eats them and doesn't even notice my birds. The hawks do though, and the raccoons, and opossums(well, they just cleaned out the chicken food leftover at night, never bothered the chickens), neighborhood dogs, foxes, etc.

i leave for a couple of days and i have to learn a new language understand how you did that click to see thing
and eggs hatching owls on coops!! geeze cant you guys just freeze im busy!!!!

oh by the way HI!!!
frow.gif

Well it's about time! Next time warn us before you leave, would ya?

CG: They are penned up, and ususally lay in the same place. I would love to have an omelet though, so they need to get it together.

And I'm calm about the owl now. I just wasn't expecting that one. Middle of the day and all.

Oh and EVELLE:
welcome-byc.gif

Well it's about time! Next time warn us before you leave, would ya?

HHAHAHAHA!!!
i didnt realize i was going to be gone so long!!
i took for ever to pack my husbands office up.. then even when i took breaks i wasnt breaking..
my dryer broke so i have to pin up my laundry!! oh no!!
so here is my math
3 girls one husband and me plus 4 outfits a day and no dryer equals one very upset momma who refuses to change out of her PJS
LOL
today im taking a break. then tomarrow its back to organizing and maybe painting...

i feel so left out i cant hatch, and i want to!!
it started to snow REALLY BAD!! 4 feet in two days :(

Back
Top Bottom