Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

He was purty. They are beautiful creatures. They're just getting a little too close for me. And in some cases a little too close TO me. That one last spring flew down maybe 5 feet from me!

I was just searching for info on candling goose eggs. I'm reading that you can't see veining as soon because the shell is thicker.. ?.. And that you're supposed to look for a reddish tint. Other than that, I've having a hard time finding stuff.

What day did you really start to see something?

I saw spider veins in Celtic's eggs on day 5. Did not see the veins in the larger, thicker ebay eggs until a day later. By day 10, you see almost one half of the egg is dark red (membrane). By day 11-12, you can clearly see the embryo swimming. Today is day 13 on my eggs.

I use a different flashlight too. For duck eggs, I use a pen light single LED, but for the goose eggs, I use a larger diameter 5 LED light that fits the fat end of the goose egg better.

Pete's guide has a few pictures... if you go further in the thread... on page 3, Pete posts a few more very helpful pics. I also found an amazing study of embryo development. It doesn't show candling, but it shows a pic for every day of what is happening inside the egg. Here's the link:

http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i...tographic-guide-goose-embryo-t1488/103-p0.htm

Last edited:
We have all sorts of predator birds in my area. Hawks, eagles, owls, and magpies are abundant here. I imagine we will create Ft Knox for our duckies to keep them safe when outside!

Awesome thanks. I'm going to check that link out now. Today is an early day 5. One the yolk is really Golden bronze color. One is just kinda normal.
Did you candle like a duck egg? Or did you candle at the big end of the egg.

I saw spider veins in Celtic's eggs on day 5. Did not see the veins in the larger, thicker ebay eggs until a day later. By day 10, you see almost one half of the egg is dark red (membrane). By day 11-12, you can clearly see the embryo swimming. Today is day 13 on my eggs.

I use a different flashlight too. For duck eggs, I use a pen light single LED, but for the goose eggs, I use a larger diameter 5 LED light that fits the fat end of the goose egg better.

Pete's guide has a few pictures... if you go further in the thread... on page 3, Pete posts a few more very helpful pics. I also found an amazing study of embryo development. It doesn't show candling, but it shows a pic for every day of what is happening inside the egg. Here's the link:

http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i...tographic-guide-goose-embryo-t1488/103-p0.htm

Back
Top Bottom