Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Just bought 13 Guinea eggs!
woot.gif

I candled my eggs tonight. Of the 15 ancona eggs, 2 were clear, 2 were unsure, and 11 had spiders! Also discovered one of the developing eggs has a dimple and hairline crack (just like the other broken ones I tossed) that I must have missed when setting them. It is not seeping, so I don't know if I should try to put wax on it... although I'd have to go buy wax to do it.

My cayugas are not looking as good. It appears that 2 may have beginning blood circles, one may have bacteria, and the rest are slower in general to develop than the anconas. But they are all propped up along edge of bator because of messed up air cells, so maybe that would make them develop slower. It is still VERY early though... only 4.5 days so I have my fingers crossed for them yet.

I set my new ancona eggs in goose bator so as not to chill the growing eggs, but will move them over tomorrow once warmed to temperature.

Sounds like a plan Iain. I know my Khakis never look as far along as Pekings, but I don't usually candle to often. I've got enough eggs to just not stress too much. If your Khakis don't make it, I'll send you some in April. The ones at school are doing nicely, so I know the fertility is good. And if you like layers, well, my ducks are A+, thats all I breed for with them and the Pekings.

I'm glad your Anconas are doing well. I want to hatch some blue eggs!

As for the cracked egg, my turkey is doing ok. You don't have any white crayons, or those little white parafin candles areound? I used food grade wax, but anything unscented should be ok, I'd think. People canned with parafin for many years. Since crayons are ediable, any color may be ok. I'd cover the spot if they egg seems happy. If its not infected, that'll sure help keep it from being that way-just dont cover too much egg surface.

What else are you up to?

I candled my eggs tonight. Of the 15 ancona eggs, 2 were clear, 2 were unsure, and 11 had spiders! Also discovered one of the developing eggs has a dimple and hairline crack (just like the other broken ones I tossed) that I must have missed when setting them. It is not seeping, so I don't know if I should try to put wax on it... although I'd have to go buy wax to do it.

My cayugas are not looking as good. It appears that 2 may have beginning blood circles, one may have bacteria, and the rest are slower in general to develop than the anconas. But they are all propped up along edge of bator because of messed up air cells, so maybe that would make them develop slower. It is still VERY early though... only 4.5 days so I have my fingers crossed for them yet.

I set my new ancona eggs in goose bator so as not to chill the growing eggs, but will move them over tomorrow once warmed to temperature.

just use a crayon.
melt it a little and roll the wax over the crack .

my waxed egg made it to day 28 .
both eggs died so it wasnt the wax.
waxed eggs do just as good =)

Back
Top Bottom