Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Yea! Another bator full of babies on "Hatch day is today" T.V.! They look like they hatched close togather timewise. How are you today Julie? Glad to see you were out enjoying the day!

I put pheasants in the bator yesterday. Its soooo full now. I think there is 1 single empty space. Hmmm... maybe I should go buy another egg!!

10 ducklings. Ancona x cayuga x buff ducks.
smile.png

Yea! Another bator full of babies on "Hatch day is today" T.V.! They look like they hatched close togather timewise. How are you today Julie? Glad to see you were out enjoying the day!

I put pheasants in the bator yesterday. Its soooo full now. I think there is 1 single empty space. Hmmm... maybe I should go buy another egg!!

One hatched yesterday, 2 are still half in the egg, but the others all hatched pretty much at once. Almost like quail.
2 of the 4 EE eggs under my broody aren't developing, and a silkie has gone broody so I'll be moving at least 8 of the EE eggs under them. Then I'll be down to 4 EE eggs (unless the other silkie starts setting, which wouldn't surprise me at all), 4 duck eggs due wednesday, 8 turkey eggs which I think all 8 may be developing, and 1 who knows what the heck it is egg. I need my calls to start quacking soon, so I can see if I need more of them. If I do, I'll be setting more calls.
smile.png

What all do you have cooking in yours?

One hatched yesterday, 2 are still half in the egg, but the others all hatched pretty much at once. Almost like quail.
2 of the 4 EE eggs under my broody aren't developing, and a silkie has gone broody so I'll be moving at least 8 of the EE eggs under them. Then I'll be down to 4 EE eggs (unless the other silkie starts setting, which wouldn't surprise me at all), 4 duck eggs due wednesday, 8 turkey eggs which I think all 8 may be developing, and 1 who knows what the heck it is egg. I need my calls to start quacking soon, so I can see if I need more of them. If I do, I'll be setting more calls.
smile.png

What all do you have cooking in yours?
I have 9 giant pekings
7 chocolate turkey
6 midget white turkey
7 old english game
12 B/B/S silkies
4 big and 1 small toulouse egg
4 sebbie egg
5 pheasent
9 button quail

thats all, unless I forgot something. I gotta go buy another egg!

Quote:
What does one actually do with a pheasant??

Good question. Unexpected Ebay win. If I get a pair out of them, I'll give them a small fly pen, and see if I can make more. If I get all males or females, we'll be eating pheasent at Christmas.

I'm getting some mix colored sebbie eggs! Who knows when! But mom said OK!!!! YAY!

And I'm trading some WH eggs, for some WH eggs lol.

WOO HOO It has been a long day and night. So far I have 5 babies out of the shell and resting. And I have 12 that have zipped and are sitting in their little shells still. I had to help 2 of them because they pipped at the wrong end and was still trying to make the hole bigger and then got stuck so I helped those two. They were both ones that I got from a lady about 15 miles from me. I think they are pekin/mallards but I can't remember. Hubby is sleeping, through all of it, in the bedroom. My chickens have not done a thing yet...
barnie.gif

What's up with everyone's babies pipping wrong end right now?
barnie.gif

I have 3 babies completely out of their shells and I moved them into the chicken incubator (since the chickens aren't hatching yet, hopefully the ducks talking will coax them out). I put them in there so they could finish fluffying up. They haven't tried to sit or walk yet though... I wish they would get up and move. They scoot around. Then I have 14 that are zipped and resting with their shells on to finish absorbing their goodies. It was a long night. I had 5 pip at the wrong end of the egg. I had to help those because they were getting no where once they made their little whole in the egg. They were getting shrunk wrapped too in there. I lost 4 total ducks to shrink wrap or just tiring out. One that pipped and had its beak sticking out of the shell was so gross. I looked in with the flashlight to make sure that the nares were uncovered and the duck had no cap on its brain. I about got sick. Woke Hubby up and everything. I have NEVER seen that before in a duck. I have seen it in horses and calves but never a little duck. It was gross.
sickbyc.gif

Were there cresteds in the flock you got the eggs from? I'm pretty sure that's a common deformity when cresteds breed with each other.

I had that orangish colored egg that Celtic sent with the EEE's explode this morning in my new incubator. so I had to take everybody out and sterize it. What a mess. Had 2 runner eggs in there that looked pretty gross on the insit too so I candled and candled and saw nothing moving so I tossed them too

Oh no! SM, you seem to have all the luck!
hugs.gif

An exploding egg? Ouch! I do not want to experience that! Glad I threw out all questionable eggs before I left town.

My greatest fear is the exploding egg. Ok second greatest. Deformed babies would really freak me out bad.

Back
Top Bottom