Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Still, yes toss the blood ring eggs so they don't get gross on you. How many days post hatch is the duckling? Did it hatch assisted or unassisted? I would start the poly vi sol or chick saver. If it isn't dry and warm move it closer to heat or back into a bator.

CG, no reason to add water if the humidity is running to high right now. If you have trouble reducing weight during incubation you need to run with out water in the bator. I cant run water in the small bators during incubation or the eggs don't do as well. If the air cells haven't started dipping enough, you can cool for 20-30 min and mist while out. Once the time is up put them back. You don't technically have to go into lockdown on a set date, but do once they internally pip. Good luck with the hatch this weekend. Keep us posted.

i wasnt sure if it was ok to run the bator dry . grandma keeps telling me to never let it go dry.
i will dry cooling when i get home. hopefully the air cells will enlarge some.
i will keep you posted.
and i wasnt really doing lckdown on a set date.
but tuesday is day 25 so i figured they would start internaly pipping this weekend,

air cells on day 18 .
what do you think celtic?

They don't look bad, yes you can run a dry incubator. Our humidity here allows me to run dry or virtually dry until they pip. Incubation is an art, with tweaking that needs to be made to your location. Old school thought was, set temps at X humidity at Y and lockdown at Z. It has been determined that we can help regulate the humidity to get a better hatch rate through artificial incubation. So grandma is right in that she is old school incubating. You are right to try and regulate more to give the eggs the best chance they can have.

Cass that's too funny. Hopefully they buddy up soon.

They don't look bad, yes you can run a dry incubator. Our humidity here allows me to run dry or virtually dry until they pip. Incubation is an art, with tweaking that needs to be made to your location. Old school thought was, set temps at X humidity at Y and lockdown at Z. It has been determined that we can help regulate the humidity to get a better hatch rate through artificial incubation. So grandma is right in that she is old school incubating. You are right to try and regulate more to give the eggs the best chance they can have.

Twitch spent so much time being my sidekick, I don't think he knows what a DUCK is!
lau.gif

i will try cooling over the next couple days to see if it helps.
just do it once a day? or every time i turn (i turn 3x a day)

clap.gif
I just tried vent sexing 3 of them. The 2 blue ones I tried I couldn't get anything to pop out. The 3rd one was a black one and I got a little pee pee to pop out. So for one- QJ I said pee pee
lau.gif
, two- I feel better about being fairly accurate vent sexing, and three- I'm pretty sure I have a pair of blue ducklings.
ya.gif
Actually I was fairly shocked I found a pee pee at all, I'm pretty good at not hatching boys for some reason.
Was it hard to sex them? Did it hurt them? I've wanted to try, and I've watched the hatchery (mes.) video on it, but being inexperienced I'm a little nervous.
hide.gif

I think I'm giving up on trying to hatch goose eggs

Poor SM! I havn't candled any of my eggs since right before I put them into the bator on Sunday and Monday. My air cells looked ok on big ones, and I know at least two had clearly visable yolks, so maybe I will get some. I couldn't see anything whatsoever in the sebbie eggs, but most foks here and Amy (the seller) said to give them a few days. I'll just candle on Sunday or Monday, and hope I'm getting a chance at least! I really want some geese now.
fl.gif
You know how it is in smaller bators, if you put them in, you get attached to them. I hate to be emotionally involved in bird reproduction, but at least I'm in good company.

The other goose eggs, have they been auto turned or hand turned? I tend to 45* lean shipped goose eggs and hand turn to help the air cells settle during incubation.

I didn't have any choice but to lean mine. I don't think they are at quite 45*, but they are leaned up on the empty turning rack area bottem plastic supports. They are the only ones being hand turned. Do I need to get mine up higher? I can send a pic but I'm not a good degree guesser. Id say about 15* - 25* is their angles.

Hey SM - I got another hova from your incubator dealor. Your right, they ship MUCH faster. Worth the extra few bucks. I also bought goose egg turning racks that I can put on my frame, but I don't think I can put 4 lg and 5 med. eggs in such a small space. I guess I'll be hand turning all month.

Twitch spent so much time being my sidekick, I don't think he knows what a DUCK is!
lau.gif

I've had that happen too! Only a few ducks get attached, most are healty and don't need care. It's actually been a few years. I think i miss it...... I hope he and his buddy get to be close soon.

I cool eggs once a day and mist when cooled unless they are a problem egg. Then they get two Collins a day.

When you cool them, do you set them out on a towel, and then spray right before you put them back? Since my ducks are in a mixed lot, i've been setting them out for just a few minutes on a towel, and spraying last. In a uniform bator, with all ducks same age, I'd just spray them every morning, but no air time.

I'm wondering how to manage the goose eggs, since they are also in a mixed bator. Is it ok to set them out the whole 10-15 cool? I assume otheres just open the bator, or pull out a try. Of course you know about assume.......

Last edited:
The lean and not as much movement is the important part, the degree of the angle not as much. You don't want the air cell to settle to the sideof the egg, this the angled lean. Although we have a duck egg laid with air cell on its side and it is hatching today.

Have a ton of fence work this weekend, so will be off of here more than on. Our goose breeding season is almost over and we will be turning everyone out together again. Thus we need to finish up some of the new fencing.

Marty, I pull entire racks out of the cabinet to cool the eggs. The Brinsea I just pull the top off of them. I most the egg, set my timer and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Go back and put them all away and close up the bators. It hasn't effected the chicken eggs one bit in the cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom