Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

I know right? I wanted a & m's so I could get tuxedoes, but now I think I just want jumbo browns. I want a color I can tell the boys and girls apart with. I see all the time about people buying quail chicks from the feedstore, but I've never seen them there. I need to get up and go to the gardner auction tomorrow, but I'm scared of what else I might come home with.
hide.gif

Maybe they got sat on wrong and smashed? Is it cold enough if they wandered away from momma they could get chilled? I really don't know. Usually when I lose babies it's from them finding somewhere to drown themselves or they get stuck away from momma and freeze or get pecked by someone.

clap.gif

They have no way of getting to the "outside coop" It was chilly here and they could easily slip out through the chicken wire I have up so I made them unable to go out. Momma was outside for a while this morning, but I have a 250 watt red heat lamp over the nest for them to stay warm.

Has this ever happened to anyone.... I have a Scobie mama on her eggs an today a baby started to hatch she kicked it out of her nest... i tried to move it closer to her only cause the baby was drying out fast and I mean FAST (i live in AZ and today its a dry 87 degrees outside) so I couldn't take it any longer I brought the duckling in and put him in the brooder misted him with warm water and he finished his hatch he seems healthy but I don't know why she didn't want him? I'm really puzzled this is her first clutch and her first egg that has hatched.. will I have to worry about the rest?

Marty, I wondered how people got awards on the site. Thanks for the link. I too nominated a special person for the educator award.

I agree I thought it was going to be a loss cause but the little duckling is eating and drinking and acting healthy, so you think at night might work, what if i get another rejection. I'm just really puzzled all my scobies have been wonderful mamas.... I'm really scratching my head over this one.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom