Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Sometimes less is more.

I suck at hatching eggs.

The one that died, well i figured out why it died!! It was a rear end pipper!! I wish i would have known that!! Well, since it was dead. I decided to open it up. When i finally got to it, their were air bubbles is the membrane. It couldn't breath, and this is when I stopped opening the bator. And said I wasn't gonna help again!! I could have saved him
hit.gif
.... there was no blood, nor yolk to absorb! & He was stuck, and he died, because I didn't help him.
he.gif
somad.gif

Sorry, that was really vague. I think that helping very little and finding a happy medium on when to intervene or not seems to be helping everyone the most.

Last edited:
You guys and your horses are reminding me of a story. (imagine that.)

My aunt had Tennessee Walkers when I was a kid. And one day she saw her son (my cousin) come inside kinda acting weird.. and walk back out with the gun. So she of course said.. "Woah.. what's going on?" Well, her horse had gotten up in his feed trough and fallen over onto a fence post and was basically shish-ka-bobbed on it. Still alive. My cousin and Uncle had gone out and found it and were going to "take care of it" and THEN tell her. They didn't want her to see her horse that way.
But when she found out what was going on, she ran out there and MADE them call the vet. Well, the vet of course said.. there is absolutely nothing I can do for this horse. It was obviously in a lot of pain and he suggested they put her down. (duh).

My aunt is still traumatized by seeing that. He was an AMAZING horse.

OMG!!! I'd have had a heart attack on the spot!!!!

DG, wrong way pippers are even harder to help hatch. Beating yourself up over the what ifs doesn't help you or the situation. I believe that there is a very large difference between a patient adult helping a hatch and a paniky kid doing it. I also think you might be very quick to jump the gun to try and help when reading about others doing so. Except you are missing that it is hours of work and rest leading to days before final hatch happens.

Your goals should be to get an accurate thermometer and hydrometer and calibrate them so you know they are actuate or what % off they are. Then run a hatch as true to text book as possible and keep your hands off and watch.

Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone looses hatchlings, and if they claim they don't they are not telling the whole story. You are still young, and have lots of learning in patience ahead of you, and hatching is a huge task in the world of patience.

thumbsup.gif

DG, wrong way pippers are even harder to help hatch. Beating yourself up over the what ifs doesn't help you or the situation. I believe that there is a very large difference between a patient adult helping a hatch and a paniky kid doing it. I also think you might be very quick to jump the gun to try and help when reading about others doing so. Except you are missing that it is hours of work and rest leading to days before final hatch happens.
Your goals should be to get an accurate thermometer and hydrometer and calibrate them so you know they are actuate or what % off they are. Then run a hatch as true to text book as possible and keep your hands off and watch.
Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone looses hatchlings, and if they claim they don't they are not telling the whole story. You are still young, and have lots of learning in patience ahead of you, and hatching is a huge task in the world of patience.

So, should I get more from the same lady? Or should I not? I'm gonna wait anyway, cause I'm not setting ONE MORE EGG till i have a thermometer/hydrometer that is correct.

I'm cutting back my critters just sent three nubeians to the butcher and a pig next it to cull some ducks and roosters I've acuiered since I've been on here last I only picken drake from the four I bought the only problem is he doesn't like mojo. :/ but I'm still on the hunt for a better one so maybe he will be just temporary to get some hatching I have been putting eggs in left ang right testing for fertility..
So Well any ways hi everyone! Sorry I've not been on much my daughter broke my USB card to get on the net. :/
And for some reason my labtop won't let me post it says I didnt write anything???

Impessive, Marty! Your dogs must be in great condition too!

The old dog was for a long time, but she gone now. The two dogs we have now, a wee little mutt and the adoopted big dog, both like it very much. It helps both of their chew tendancies find a natural outlet. Buddy has calmed down a lot, but then again, he's new. (one month now) I think that anaimals do best when feed an appropriate diet. Ducks need grains and small protein sources, cows need grass (and some require grain), carnivors need meat, I guess its the biologist in me.

You got the paniky part down
hide.gif

But I did fine my very first hatch, why is it so different now
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom