Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

SEBBIE UPDATE***

I have ONE external pip and one that has turned and I can no longer see the beak. I'm going to pip for that one when I get back from the school run. I had a bad feeling about that egg anyway, and I'm not losing it because I waited.

Thoughts? Constructive Criticism? Utah? Marty? lol.
qj you can do no hard by ext pipping for him. pip for him see what is going on in there so you feel better about it.

so there has been so much excitemenet with new babies. and what not
i totaly forgot about the bator eggs.
i still turn them 3 times a day .
but i have only candled twice and the last time was just afeter the last hatch to make sure i had to quitters.
i only have 9 days left. until i have to COMPLETELY ASSIST A HATCH AGAIN (well most likely)
i think this time as soon as i see internal pips. i am going to external pip for them. and then let them try for a while to do it on their own.
i read of another call breeder doing this on a thread. she said it improved her hatch rate.

so far the only thing that improved my rate was chickens and even then i had to hatch them. its warming up outside tho so hopefully when the humidity goes up hatches will happen on their own.

sooo im looking for grandma some baby turkeys or turkey eggs locally. she wants something "different" no bronze or white.
which just happen to be what most people have. so i have my work cut out for me. and she doesnt want shipped eggs. lol . even better.

im working on catching the neighbor home so i can see about getting a few quail eggs. and maybe just maybe some peacock eggs. ive heard his male hollering lately. but not sure if he has a hen.

Question: Since I only have 4 cayugas... 2 boys, 1 girl and 1 unknown sex baby... I REALLY need at least 4 girls to have the proper breeding stock m/f ratio. I can either 1) buy more show quality hatching eggs; 2) purchase show quality straight run ducklings from Holderread; or 3) purchase sexed females from metzer.

What would you do if you were me??

Hey 70!!!!!!!!!!
Guess what!!! I hatched my very first egg from my girls a beautiful little girl whom I've named ash!
Now I'm concerned because her bill is all swollen up and Puffy looking
Any ideas?

That's wonderful about the hatch from your girls!! But not so good about the puffy bill :-( That is something I have not heard of before - a swollen bill. I'd be guessing an infection or else just a deformity. Do you think one of those is likely? Could you put up a pic?

Awwww man I hope it's not an infection :( I put it with my baby turkey and they were very interested in her and kept pecking her.... It might be...
What should I do.... Do ya think?????

It was fine on day one of hatching.
**** husband and turkeys!!!! I didn't want any this year and he got 10!!!!!!

Sadly I don't know how to post a picture off my phone :( I'd love to show it her off I could post one on face book though....

Question: Since I only have 4 cayugas... 2 boys, 1 girl and 1 unknown sex baby... I REALLY need at least 4 girls to have the proper breeding stock m/f ratio. I can either 1) buy more show quality hatching eggs; 2) purchase show quality straight run ducklings from Holderread; or 3) purchase sexed females from metzer.

if i were you i would order sexed females from metzer.
this way you know what you are getting for your money.
you have had lowsy luck with eggs. so i would hate for you to get more eggs and end up with only 1 or 2 babies.
and straight run can back fire on you loli just go with an all female order

I want to see a pic of the nervous face too.
wink.png
plus sure hope all goes great and the gosling is okay..
fl.gif

That is what makes metzer soooooo tempting CG. However, the downsides to metzer is that the ducklings are hatchery quality and I worry about bringing ducklings into our closed healthy flock.

I kind of want to take a stab at hatching... think I have figured out a new method to increase rate. But then I'd have to wait another month to hatch them out, wait another few weeks to sex them, then deal with the excess boys.

With Holderread (assuming I could get them soon), at least I know I'm getting healthy top quality... but I would pay a pretty price to get those ducklings and still have to deal with the excess boys.

That is what makes metzer soooooo tempting CG. However, the downsides to metzer is that the ducklings are hatchery quality and I worry about bringing ducklings into our closed healthy flock.

I kind of want to take a stab at hatching... think I have figured out a new method to increase rate. But then I'd have to wait another month to hatch them out, wait another few weeks to sex them, then deal with the excess boys.

With Holderread (assuming I could get them soon), at least I know I'm getting healthy top quality... but I would pay a pretty price to get those ducklings and still have to deal with the excess boys.

to me sounds like eggs or metzer are the better bet.
with holderread thats a pretty price to pay for ducklings when you could end up not getting the amount of hens your need.

the girls

pretty girls!

regular sized coffee cup.
duckling that hatched wednesday . sorry this was very difficult

1 week old duckling

box of babies =)

the pink you see is vet wrap
i use that as my leg bands

cute babies
love.gif
and good idea about the vet wrap!

love.gif
i love the last one the most

Here I have 9 Anconas and a trio of Indian runners babies. Just picked them up from my Mom today. I also have some California Leghorn chicks and a white turkey too.
big_smile.png

I also lost my toulouse gosling today when DH dropped him while trying to cuddle the little squeaker.
sad.png

Those are some super cute babies
love.gif
sorry about the gosling
hugs.gif

She is whining when she has to go outside. I don't know if that will continue or if I just have the world's smartest puppy! We love love love her!

Oh No!!

I just candled them and threw them all out. Yes... you read that right.

she will probably keep doing it, my dog did and she only had 2 accidents (which were our fault for no letting her out fast enough) and was fully potty trained in like 2 weeks! be sure to encourage and praise her
celebrate.gif

love.gif

Hey everybody! I have been busy busy lately. Lots of yard work and spring cleaning while the weather has been nice. I hatched 4 more quail. Only 4 made it out of the batch of 25 from quaillady. I ordered roux dilute and scarlet reds/tux. Out of the 4 I got 1 italian, 1 brown, 1 red tux, and 1 white. Stoked for the red and hopefully the others will have the genetic makeup to get me some roux dilutes and more reds. I have 8 total baby quail now so hopefully I can up my fertility within a month or so. I didn't go back and read everything. How is everbody doing? How are all of you in Tornado area? Hopefully all are well and safe.

Ps. That's not poop! LOL ^

so cute! beautiful pictures!

I forgot to mention I almost lost Tony today. Poor fellow had a blood sugar crash

hugs.gif

I did well putting my 5-week olds in with the flock. I made an enclosure within their enclosure and kept the babies slightly seperated the first day and then put them to bed with the adults. My first pekin, Tiny, is mothering them a bit. She tends to adopt newbies and special needs ducks when presented with them. All has gone extremely well.

what was the weather like when you put them out at 5 weeks? my five week olds just spent their first night outside with a 100 watt light bulb it stayed between 55-60 all night

Today is day 28. The one in question was working on a pip on the left side of the dip. And it's turned and the beak is "missing".

I just have that feeling.

fl.gif

I vote for Metzer... you've had enough heart ache with hatches this year. My Cayugas from them are real pretty. I can post new pics if you want. They'er 6 weeks old today.

Back
Top Bottom