Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Ok...the Call ducklings continue to amaze me with their tenacious desire to survive. I went to pull out the container holding what I thought would be a dead duckling, and found it was fully alive, sitting with it's head up and eyes open, looking at me. I can't believe it!!! This baby was so listless last night, I find it hard to believe this is the same baby. I put it in with the other two, without being in a container, and it's motoring around with them and even flipped itself back over when it got excited and flipped. I'm just sitting here in disbelief
ep.gif
i hope my babies make a turn around
one is doing better he refuses to stay in a cup.
i had to tape his foot open . when he was trying to walk it stayed closed and was throwing him off balance. i taped it and he seems to be doing much better,

i put the little snowy in a smaller cup that she cant tip over which is forcing her to kee her legs under her.

and well the icu baby is just that. no change. still fighting

i hope my babies make a turn around
one is doing better he refuses to stay in a cup.
i had to tape his foot open . when he was trying to walk it stayed closed and was throwing him off balance. i taped it and he seems to be doing much better,

i put the little snowy in a smaller cup that she cant tip over which is forcing her to kee her legs under her.

and well the icu baby is just that. no change. still fighting
I hope so too. I fully believe that our assisted hatching makes for weak babies that take time to get their feet under them. During hatch, they gain strength through all the work they do to get out of the eggs. We bypass that normal action, so it just takes a bit for them to get themselves up and going. I prefer that, though, to dead babies in the shells. At least with assisted hatching, we get live babies. I kind of think of them as premies, lol.

Celtic...I think she got away with the chick box because she had the newly hatched chicks in there, too. She fooled the PO. I'm just glad my gosling made it alright, and so did the chicks. My mother is thrilled with the Marans chicks....another of Carole's specialties.

I hope so too. I fully believe that our assisted hatching makes for weak babies that take time to get their feet under them. During hatch, they gain strength through all the work they do to get out of the eggs. We bypass that normal action, so it just takes a bit for them to get themselves up and going. I prefer that, though, to dead babies in the shells. At least with assisted hatching, we get live babies. I kind of think of them as premies, lol.
well my last hatch went against that rule. those guys popped out and were up on their feet within hours and outa the bator within 24hrs.

but i got the 2 leg issue babies out to walk around so i could watch .
im pretty sure they will be ok.
its like one leg is stronger and they push too hard with it.
they are such sweethearts.
the follow my hands around and bite at my rings and they attacked rileys nose.
i have very high hopes for them .
they can right themselves today when they flip over.

still not change in the icue babiee. he has never opened his eyes and seems to have no control over his head or neck.

Got my babies! They are so cute! I'm in love! Yes, I know this is against every rule out there, but I connot post pics till later! Gotta finish baby playpen! Oh, and celtic, don't see any care sheet lol.

well my last hatch went against that rule. those guys popped out and were up on their feet within hours and outa the bator within 24hrs.

but i got the 2 leg issue babies out to walk around so i could watch .
im pretty sure they will be ok.
its like one leg is stronger and they push too hard with it.
the follow my hands around and bite at my rings and they attacked rileys nose.
i have very high hopes for them .
they can right themselves today when they flip over.

still not change in the icue babiee. he has never opened his eyes and seems to have no control over his head or neck.
I had a couple in that last batch do that too...these 3 are taking longer. And yes, I see the same thing with one leg being stronger, and lurching either forwards, or sideways, and no neck strength. Butters had both legs doing that...it was crazy, and it was why he kept flipping. What had me worried about the grey baby is he went from being very active, to listless...so I thought he was fading away. I guess he was just resting.

I had a couple in that last batch do that too...these 3 are taking longer. And yes, I see the same thing with one leg being stronger, and lurching either forwards, or sideways, and no neck strength. Butters had both legs doing that...it was crazy, and it was why he kept flipping. What had me worried about the grey baby is he went from being very active, to listless...so I thought he was fading away. I guess he was just resting.
im hoping these 2 will be ok.
i plan to get them out every couple of hours and make them walk around.
hich i think they enjoyed . theyd walk as fast as the could bite my rings then scramble into my hand and pick on eachother.
and they are willingly drinking theyr vitamins from my hand . i added a little brewers yeast to it to get them some extra niacin.

i have very little hope for the icu baby. he still will not willingily drink which means eating is outa the question for a while but i dont know how much yolk he has to live on

im hoping these 2 will be ok.
i plan to get them out every couple of hours and make them walk around.
hich i think they enjoyed . theyd walk as fast as the could bite my rings then scramble into my hand and pick on eachother.
and they are willingly drinking theyr vitamins from my hand . i added a little brewers yeast to it to get them some extra niacin.

i have very little hope for the icu baby. he still will not willingily drink which means eating is outa the question for a while but i dont know how much yolk he has to live on
I just put pop bottle caps of water and powdered feed in the dryer and the butter and BF are eating and drinking. Grey baby is resting again. He did drink a bit of sugar water last night for me. Don't give up on ICU baby...he might just suprise you!

ETA: Grey baby is at the water drinking! YAY!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom