Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

SO...... I woke up to problems in my brooder room. A piece of thread on edge of fleece blanket had been caught in Spirit's feet and she was on her back (scared me half to death) and it appears that Handful (my grey dewlap) has also ingested a piece of thread. I can see it inside nare, but cannot get it out. He has been trying to work it out, but can't. He is not in major distress, but I think he needs to see the vet. I have an appt in 2 hours (am waiting for hubby to return from a meeting to go with me). I will definitely take all 4 greys, get them vent sexed and Spirit checked out. Will probably also take Barley too so I can find out if girl or boy.

In better news, my bachelor flock in pasture are all doing well this morning. They are loving living on the pond. They swam to me and greeted me when I brought them food, but had no interest in leaving the water, even for the food. My coop looks so very empty now. Bet the keepers are happy with all the extra space.

no real update today .
all 5 babies are doing good. ( 3 girls 2 boys)
the 2 blue bibbed will be going to their new home monday .
the other 3 are staying for now. (the grey will leave when i have a buddy for him to leave with)
but the snowys (1 boy 1 girl)
are staying. i want another snowy hen inn my flock (if i like the look of her)
and the drake will find a new home later on .

Update: Handful is acting totally normal now and I no longer see anything in nare. Probably will still go to vet appt for Spirit follow up, vent sexing, and have all my babies given a quick check.

ETA: Talked to vet. My appointment has been rescheduled to afternoon for regular office visit (instead of emergency price) to get Spirit re-checked. They also said no problem with me bringing all my dewlaps (and Barley's toulouse companion) in for vent sexing. This should be an experience.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the compliments....I love my babies!
love.gif
I've got several birds/ducklings/chicks I want to sell this wknd....oh yay, dealing with people...not fun.
hide.gif

Butters is doing well afterall. I think he was just stressed in the big brooder with the large group. Going to set these new guys up in their own smaller brooder and leave Butters with them for now. They welcomed him without issue.

Utah....I hope Spirit's foot continues to improve. My concern would be possible break down of that leg as she grows to adult size. I would imagine the vet has that in mind, though. I remember you mentioning prosthetic shoes?
And it's funny because Marcel was bigger than Simon was when I got them. I think she was a few days older, too. Now he is freaking HUGE. I loved the fact they all laid down in a lineup...made it easy to catch them all together, and show size differences. At some point, I will have to make the decision to let them join up with my Sebbie pair. I will have to do it while the Sebbies are still willing to baby them, as the youngsters will need their protection and guidance.

That is very cool. Fingers crossed they are fertile!! I look forward to your day 7 candling report. I will want eggs in a couple of months, but right now I'm trying to get my babies grown up enough to begin camping season! Hubby and I are both itching to get away for a long weekend.
I know what yah mean! I have nothing in the brooder right now that can't be outside when my hubby vacation starts. Even though we are now just doing some 2-3 day trips, I still need them outside! Just shoot me a holla when you want some, I only have 1 hen so I could only collect a little under a dozen to ship you if you want
thumbsup.gif
I am not lettig any go out for a while cause I want to hatch & check fertility, and eat some too!

Uh, no...you are watching the auction I am
lau.gif
I've been watching it since it was posted
tongue.gif
I've been hunting me some of those all freaking year!
Oh, and yes...I did post some pics, so believe it sista!
I had to go back & look!! YEPPERS I saw them! CUTE, I don't know why but sometimes I don't see posts right away when I am reading.... Has that happened to anyone else? Like Eye
love.gif
will ask if I saw her post of her babes & I hadn't ~ then I go back & they are there... wierd. maybe when to many posts, post at the same time there is a delay or something
I want some Cayuga eggs! :)
bow.gif

hugs.gif
I will let ya know! Do you want to come & pick up or do you want to meet me in Oly some time? I make trips up there to Freddies, and Cash n Carry.

heres the pics i promised dutch.
my juvies
3 mystery babies
1 white hen
2 blue bibbed hens
1 choch bibbed hen
2 black magpie drakes (iffy on 1)
1 blue fawn hen
1 snowy drake

im really starting to agree with julie on the mystery baby in the front on the right.
hes looking more and more lilac.

Bad baies!! Look how they muddied their pool!
lau.gif

So... I was leaving to pick up free drake, people come to look at car. People look at car, I head towards drake... phone call. People call from Olympia (an hour drive) wanting to come get ducklings. Got drake, now waiting. Looks like I'll have five leaving.
celebrate.gif

Blue runner drake is one handsome dude. Without having much time to talk to the previous owner, I would guess he's Holderread. He's beautiful!
love.gif

Now to try to inhale dinner before duckling buyers arrive.
If you let me know when you have ducklings, I can send you peeps... I am constantly turning people away right now because I quit hatching there this last month.

Back
Top Bottom