THREE SISTERS

Is it to late to plant pumpkin in Arizona?

Probably. Considering pumpkins typically have maturity dates between 90-120 days. When is your first frost date? You could probably get a harvest out of a summer squash or zucchini since they have maturity days around 55-60.

Probably.  Considering pumpkins typically have maturity dates between 90-120 days.    When is your first frost date?  You could probably get a harvest out of a summer squash or zucchini since they have maturity days around 55-60.

Our first frost is more then likely in October some time, I already have zucchini growing I planted summer squash but it hasnt came up yet.

Last edited:
That was the problem I had. The squash and beans took over. The corn never had a bit of a chance. I think that when the native Americans did it, they grew a bean that was not as vigorous in it's runner growth, their corn was a taller flint or dent corn, and the entire crop was designed to be harvested all at once at the end of the growing season. Not like us folks who want succulent sweet corn, tender green beans, and the squash crop as well.

One thing that you could try, that might make the concept work, is to grow bush beans, with a hill or row of corn in between the rows of beans, and then plant your squash where ever it makes the most sense, but provide a rigid trellis for it to climb so it doesn't tear down the corn. There are also beans that are described as "half runner". As the name implies, they don't grow as long as a pole bean, but taller than a bush bean.

I too think the old varieties are better suited to this method given that I'm not likely to be picking corn in the milk stage. Live and learn.

This is a visual example of the tall old school varieties of corn that work far better with pole beans that some of the more modern strains.

That is tennessee red cob corn and bloody butcher corn i planted this summer. I threw in a straw hat for size comparison. It's around 12 foot tall. The 2 rows aren't in a 3 sisters arrangement because i ran out of room in my garden and had to plant it at my father's place. Despite the size, i haven't lost a single stalk to the high winds we had during several storms. I've also never had a problem with large pole beans weighing them down.

Well i planted six pumpkin seeds eight feet apart we will see if it grows, i also replanted my summer squash since the first didnt come up.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom