THREE SISTERS

I just tried the atole recipe i posted earlier in the thread in regards of what to do with blue cornmeal. To prevent thread searching here is the original recipe.

I used one of the multi colored crosses of tn red cob corn and bloody butcher. I followed the recipe except i used 1/3 cup of sugar and had to boil it longer. The results were fantastic. I would post pics but my digital camera is broken. I would highly recommend trying it with the various colored dent corn we have been discussing in the thread. Frankly cornbread made from unsifted heirloom dent is a bit of an acquired taste, but this goes down smooth. I've seen other recipes that added cinnamon which might be worth trying.

0.jpg

LOL an acquired taste??? I'm up for that!!

My kids now like prickle pear cactus fruit-- an acquired taste for sure. IT is fruity but not sweet. Only too 5 years!! You now have me curious about the taste of the corn bread!!

I surreptitiously purchased "naughty hot peppers on ebay. $ 2. for 25 seeds. No info on how long till fruiting , how tall, etc. I don't know even if I have a long enough growing season for them - Chicago area. I've grown green peppers & banana peppers before but never HOT ones. Hope they grow. I actually bought them so I could give plants to neighbors and let them be surprised when the fruits develop.

If you start them a bit early, they should do fine. Can you give them a mini hot house? Use a couple of storm windows to make an enclosure for them, or set a tomato cage covered in a clear plastic bag over them... a milk jug with the bottom cut off will give them extra heat until they out-grow that. All of this advice, coming from someone in the frozen tundra who has DISMAL luck growing peppers of any kind.

edited (storm windows, not storm window screens!)

Last edited:
A tid bit of info on the three sisters:
http://howtogardenadvice.com/garden_info/companion_gardening.html

Companion Planting Example: This one's from an old farmer’s “wives tale.” The companion planting tale suggests that you should plant pumpkins together with your corn. The tall corn stalks act as a decoy to protect the pumpkins in your garden from pesty bug predators like squash borers (believe it or not, there is actually some scientific evidence to suggest that this works!). Reciprocating, the pumpkin provides very prickly leaves and vines that are supposed to act as natural “barbed wire” to any raccoons that may be eyeing your tender ears of corn.
Note: I've had mixed reviews on how effective (or not) this companion planting combination is at keeping the raccoons away... let us know of your experience with this! [email protected]
Companion Planting Example:
Gardeners have planted corn as a companion for pole (climbing) beans for generations. The beans grow up the corn stalks (as if they were trellises). In return, the beans process nitrogen and help fertilize the corn. Additionally, the bean vines help brace the corn against wind damage. Native American Indians practiced companion planting with their gardening by adding squash into the mix. They called these three vegetable plants, growing together, the “Three Sisters.”

Well it is nearing the end of June. Have had to focus mostly on just getting in the seeds and have done fairly well in that reguard. My effort to try 3 sisters is in progress. DIdnt find any old corns readily available at the local stores. SO I'm not sure I should plant the super sweet types among the winter squash. . . Might just try it for the experience/ experiment. . . pick which ever word you want, it will sum up my efforts. lol

WInter squash in last week in back yard which is only place to do corn this year. ( Yes, of course squash is planted in another area as well, on rotten manure. )

WOndering if I should send in a quick order to sandhill for corn. . . debating. . . . .

Found pole beans but for early eating as freash picked tender beans; a far cry from the dried types. Perhaps I better look at the beans from Sand hill as well.

Like I need more seeds.
th.gif
But HEY, they are not true old type seeds right???
love.gif

Edited for spelling. :)

Last edited:
I tried 3 sisters several times with dismal results. IMO: the original 3 sisters version that was practiced by native Americans used cultivars that were very different than the ones that we use. I'm guessing that the corn that they used was very tall, and had sturdy stalks. It certainly wasn't sweet corn. And the beans that they grew were most likely harvested for dry or shell beans at the end of the growing season, not for fresh green beans. Squash was also harvested at the end of the season. So, it was a garden that was planted in the spring, then left to grow through the season, and all 3 vegetables were harvested at the same time to tie them through the long lean winter months. So, if we try 3 sisters, and plan on having fresh tender green beans, sweet corn, and squash/pumpkins, we'll be wading through a jungle, causing damage to the plants as we go. Now, I could be wrong, b/c I tend to plant my crops too close together, and obviously, the native Americans were not space restricted, like I am. IMO for 3 sisters to work in the typical American garden, some changes need to be made. If I did try it again, this is what I'd do: I'd put some sturdy trellises, poles, or other means of providing extra support for the beans. I might even plant half runner beans instead of the pole beans. I might swap out the big robust squash for cucumbers. And I'd plant a super hardy corn, and hill it well. If there was a pole planted in the middle of each corn hill, the corn and beans would have extra support.

Back
Top Bottom