THREE SISTERS

bow.gif
Wow !!!

What did you make with them? Or did they go into storage?

Eating some fresh and others go into storage. As for the recipe I use with the cowpeas it is Moroccan style cowpea dish. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Morocc...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I do have one severe issue with the garden. Normally I don't have a problem with chickens damaging the garden, but I made the mistake of ordering 4 Egyptian fayoumis chicks in spring. They are garden eating machines. While the rest of the flock pretty much ignores it, those 4 have eaten about 30 winter squash and now they've moved on to the cowpeas :(. If they pull this trick next year, i'll be eating them.

A little update on my experiments with cornmeal: I went ahead and bought an old fashioned sifter from a Mennonite store and haven't looked back. Sifting out the "bran" makes the cornmeal way better. Plus my chickens love them.

Of the types of corn that I've grown and made cornmeal from, the Cherokee Flour Corn is by far my favorite. Definitely be growing it again next summer.

:bow  Wow !!!

What did you make with them? Or did they go into storage?

Eating some fresh and others go into storage.  As for the recipe I use with the cowpeas it is Moroccan style cowpea dish.    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Morocc...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

I do have one severe issue with the garden.  Normally I don't have a problem with chickens damaging the garden, but I made the mistake of ordering 4 Egyptian fayoumis chicks in spring.  They are garden eating machines.  While the rest of the flock pretty much ignores it, those 4 have eaten about 30 winter squash and now they've moved on to the cowpeas :(.   If they pull this trick next year, i'll be eating them.

A little update on my experiments with cornmeal:  I went ahead and bought an old fashioned sifter from a Mennonite store and haven't looked back.  Sifting out the "bran" makes the cornmeal way better.   Plus my chickens love them.

Of the types of corn that I've grown and made cornmeal from, the Cherokee Flour Corn is by far my favorite.  Definitely be growing it again next summer.

Remind me. Where did you get your seed??

And it looks like the sifter is a must-have!

Last edited:
A new planting season has arrived AND as I have been able to secure a spot at the community garden .... I have looked seriosly at many varieties of corn and beans... final decisions to be made. Have some time ad winter is due to hit next week. Tooooo early to plant corn...

New planting season is arriving!!! What are you plans? Which new varieties for corn are you wanting to try? Or new Squash??

Last year-- the corn planted could not compete with the heavy weeds--- maybe 5-6 reached 6 inches before quitting. Will try again in a different location. Suggestions for crowding out the weeds? squash ?

Back
Top Bottom