Three year old Cochin hen with maggots/worms in vent

ckuehn

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
Southeast North Dakota
It finally happened here. UGH. My cochin bantam Lucille Ball was in the nest for too long (she has tendency to get broody) and I made her come out. I found she had dark brown stains in the back feathers, took a look and saw white maggots or worms (my worst ick). I got her out of the nest and ran in here to see what I needed to do for her. There are lots of threads. I noticed yesterday that she looks pretty good but seems blind or is finding it hard to see. When I hand her treats, she just sort of stabs at them. I soaked her in epsom salt and betadine, put on powdered antibiotics the vet gave me for bumblefoot infection and vetricyn, dried her on low with a blow dryer. Checked her vent-it and still seems the maggots are there. They were floating in the epsom salt water too. I just isolated her in a cage in coop. I need to check everyone else. Anything else I can do? I fear she is not long for this world. We're both going to have nightmares tonight.

Checked her vent-it and still seems the maggots are there. They were floating in the epsom salt water too. I just isolated her in a cage in coop. I need to check everyone else. Anything else I can do?
I agree, I'd work on getting rid of the maggots if you are still seeing them.

If it's warm where you are, try using cool water (not ice cold) to rinse/flush the maggots out. One member discovered cool water seemed to make the maggots move out faster. A large syringe or even a turkey baster can help you direct the flush to target the maggots, do read the post and comments, they did not submerge the bird in cool water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...old-water-fast-results.1592249/#post-27057989

After you flush again, do get her relatively dry, make sure she's fairly warm if you choose to use cool water for flushing.
Work on hydration, get her drinking - a little sugar water or electrolytes. Once drinking, see if she will eat for you - whatever she will eat.

I agree, I'd work on getting rid of the maggots if you are still seeing them.

If it's warm where you are, try using cool water (not ice cold) to rinse/flush the maggots out. One member discovered cool water seemed to make the maggots move out faster. A large syringe or even a turkey baster can help you direct the flush to target the maggots, do read the post and comments, they did not submerge the bird in cool water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...old-water-fast-results.1592249/#post-27057989

After you flush again, do get her relatively dry, make sure she's fairly warm if you choose to use cool water for flushing.
Work on hydration, get her drinking - a little sugar water or electrolytes. Once drinking, see if she will eat for you - whatever she will eat.
Any idea why she would be blind? Or not seeing much. That is a weird thing. She has always had eyes like a hawk and could spot a cricket at 30 paces?

Any idea why she would be blind? Or not seeing much. That is a weird thing. She has always had eyes like a hawk and could spot a cricket at 30 paces?
Photos of her, the wound with maggots and of her eyes?

If she's in a bad way, this could affect her vision, perhaps the wound is infected. (is there a bad odor?)
Possible she's really dehydrated.
If she's unable to see to drink or eat, you'll need to hold up a cup of water/electrolytes to her beak so she can drink on her own or you can syringe/tube fluids into her. Once she's hydrated, then offer wet soupy food.

Once you get the flystrike under control, it would be good to see pictures of her eyes. But the flystrike is most important right now. There are a number of reasons for chickens to lose their eyesight. Any history of vitamin deficiency, avian encephalomyelitis, cataracts, ammonia odors in the coop, or Mareks in the flock would be important.

Photos of her, the wound with maggots and of her eyes?

If she's in a bad way, this could affect her vision, perhaps the wound is infected. (is there a bad odor?)
Possible she's really dehydrated.
If she's unable to see to drink or eat, you'll need to hold up a cup of water/electrolytes to her beak so she can drink on her own or you can syringe/tube fluids into her. Once she's hydrated, then offer wet soupy food.
I will get them tomorrow if she is still with us. It has a bad odor. I coaxed her into stabbing into my hand to eat. She doesn't seem weak, but she is light as a feather...

I will get them tomorrow if she is still with us. It has a bad odor. I coaxed her into stabbing into my hand to eat. She doesn't seem weak, but she is light as a feather...
I just did it. Ugh. At east 50 writhing maggots. I tried the cold water spray and they just went in further inside of her. I put vetericyn and that powdered antibiotic on it. I gave her a fishmox. Her eyes are not cloudy or anything. I just don't think she sees much but shadows. This is a 2 or three day development. I will check her again tonight, to see if there are more. It is honestly the best diet I've ever been on. Do not recommend.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12.13.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12.13.23 PM.png
    676.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12.11.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12.11.12 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
I just did it. Ugh. At east 50 writhing maggots. I tried the cold water spray and they just went in further inside of her. I put vetericyn and that powdered antibiotic on it. I gave her a fishmox. Her eyes are not cloudy or anything. I just don't think she sees much but shadows. This is a 2 or three day development. I will check her again tonight, to see if there are more. It is honestly the best diet I've ever been on. Do not recommend.
I found one maggot tonight, applied vetericyn and it looked kind of scabbed over. It is a very large wound though. She ate some crickets I caught for her and a cucumber. At this point, anything she wants...She saw the moving cricket so she isn't completely blind-I don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom