Three year old Cochin hen with maggots/worms in vent

Do you think I can stop the antibiotic (aquamox) with Lucy now?
I'm glad she's still doing o.k.

She may be avoiding the others so they don't pick at her backside as well.

How many days has she been on the Amoxicillin? You want to give her the full course.
Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally Twice a Day for 10 days.

I'm glad she's still doing o.k.

She may be avoiding the others so they don't pick at her backside as well.

How many days has she been on the Amoxicillin? You want to give her the full course.
It has only been 6 days. I will keep her on it for four more. Aquamox is the amoxicillin I am using (probably all I have access to without a prescription). I do appreciate all of your advice. If she is blind, I wonder that she wouldn't have been better off dying. She seems so scared. I don't think anyone is picking at her. One hen has taken a real disliking to her and is chasing her around sometimes, but I put her in time out today. She is a general hag anyway. We need to shake up the pecking order a bit.

It has only been 6 days. I will keep her on it for four more. Aquamox is the amoxicillin I am using (probably all I have access to without a prescription). I do appreciate all of your advice. If she is blind, I wonder that she wouldn't have been better off dying. She seems so scared. I don't think anyone is picking at her. One hen has taken a real disliking to her and is chasing her around sometimes, but I put her in time out today. She is a general hag anyway. We need to shake up the pecking order a bit.
You may find that in time if her sight worsens, that she may need to have her own space/coop/run so she's more protected from the others and can easily access food/water.

You may find that in time if her sight worsens, that she may need to have her own space/coop/run so she's more protected from the others and can easily access food/water.
I am just not sure about her sight. I see her walking across the yard, stopping to peck at bugs or seeds. She is just so odd when I hand feed her. She just stabs at things in the general right direction. I will monitor that eye sight as well as I can. have quarantine areas for her that I can use. She was missing for a bit today and I found her in the open run with the youngest ones, my 10-week-old Icelandics. Most of the chickens ignore them but some chase them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 10.01.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 10.01.00 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Lucy just got weak and weaker and died last week. I'm sure she was totally blind and kost her will to live. Maybe the blindness was a result of the infection. The flystrike seemed cured and healed, but who knows. RIP, Lucille Ball. Thanks for hatching my sweet baby, Greta Garbo. The bottom picture is Greta, who Lucy hatched. Sweetest baby ever!
Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 12.13.23 PM.png
292912103_10228311654806469_3049463585726226952_n.jpg

Last edited:
Lucy just got weak and weaker and died last week. I'm sure she was totally blind and kost her will to live. Maybe the blindness was a result of the infection. The flystrike seemed cured and healed, but who knows. RIP, Lucille Ball. Thanks for hatching my sweet baby, Greta Garbo. View attachment 3646367
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy:hugs

Back
Top Bottom