Three year old Cochin hen with maggots/worms in vent

I found one maggot tonight, applied vetericyn and it looked kind of scabbed over. It is a very large wound though. She ate some crickets I caught for her and a cucumber. At this point, anything she wants...She saw the moving cricket so she isn't completely blind-I don't get it.
I am keeping her on the fish mox (one a day),. She has to have had an infection from this.

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally Twice a Day for 10 days.

Keep flushing the wound, if the cool water doesn't work, then use warm. It's extremely important to get all the maggots out of the wound.
Should I have something in the water? Epsom salt or vinegar or something? I have seen a lot of different answers to this. I can't believe this wound is so big. How could it have happened? Lucy is not a big bird.

Should I have something in the water? Epsom salt or vinegar or something? I have seen a lot of different answers to this. I can't believe this wound is so big. How could it have happened? Lucy is not a big bird.
Seems logical to add something to the rinse water.
Dawn dish soap if you have been unable to get the maggot off may finally do it. Sometimes you need to flush several times in a day. Maggots are what have caused the wound to become so large, they need to be dealt with.

Lucy is still alive. I have soaked her and checked her every day and haven't seen of found one. It is scabbing over. How likely would it be that I have got them all? If there were eggs would they have hatched by now? She is acting normal. She keeps her distance from the other chickens, but she has always kind of been a lone wolf chicken.

Lucy is still alive. I have soaked her and checked her every day and haven't seen of found one. It is scabbing over. How likely would it be that I have got them all? If there were eggs would they have hatched by now? She is acting normal. She keeps her distance from the other chickens, but she has always kind of been a lone wolf chicken.
Im glad she is doing better. Your post made me start checking my own every day. It’s been hot here I barely see flies but you never know.

I'm glad you are not finding anymore maggots.

If she's outside, then you'll need to check her frequently for maggots and to make sure other chickens aren't picking at her wounds.

Keep triple antibiotic ointment on the wound, hopefully she will heal over with time and care.

I'm glad you are not finding anymore maggots.

If she's outside, then you'll need to check her frequently for maggots and to make sure other chickens aren't picking at her wounds.

Keep triple antibiotic ointment on the wound, hopefully she will heal over with time and care.
I have been making a nuisance of myself checking her. Since she is a cochin bantam, I don't thing they really see her problem as well as a regular chicken. It seemed kind of dry and crusty today so I put the ointment on. I have a natural citronella spray I keep on her back to discourage flies. SHe acts somewhat normal, but but scared when any of the other chickens are around, and I think that is due to her eyesight. I successfully treated my faverolle's bumblefoot in the last two days too. These chickens are high manitenance this month.

I have been making a nuisance of myself checking her. Since she is a cochin bantam, I don't thing they really see her problem as well as a regular chicken. It seemed kind of dry and crusty today so I put the ointment on. I have a natural citronella spray I keep on her back to discourage flies. SHe acts somewhat normal, but but scared when any of the other chickens are around, and I think that is due to her eyesight. I successfully treated my faverolles' bumblefoot in the last two days too. These chickens are high maintenance this month.
Do you think I can stop the antibiotic (aquamox) with Lucy now?

Back
Top Bottom