Thyroid Disease suffers

Oh sorry mine is 150 mcg, .15 mgm. I get confused on the mcg part, but it's the 150 dose, and it still isn't high enough. I have been on levoxyl for about 2&1/2 years, and like I said, it seems like the higher the dose, the more my body needs. I just went yesterday for more blood tests, and I'm pretty sure the will increase the dose again. My skin is getting excessively dry again, and I'm still very intolerant to cold, although that has gotten better.

Oh me too! I have to write it down so I don't forget what dose I am taking. I accidentally took too much for 4 months earlier this year because I got mixed up. I like to refer to them meds by "Grains" - you can't get mixed up too much that way. 60 milligrams = 1 grain.

I found a third Dr. and this one asked me how I was feeling and what kind of symptoms I was having. He told me I was taking the pills wrong, I should take them first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. He reduced my dosage and put me on Cytomel, T3, which made me fell alot better. Now I'm able to lose weight for the first time in years. My skin isn't all dried out and I don't take scalding hot showers all the time.

That's great! T3 is amazing, isn't it? Most thyroid sufferers need more as they age. I started out at 1/2 grain in my 20's (although I believe that was not enough based on today's TSH standards!!), and now up to 2.5.

This year is, LITERALLY, the very first time in my thyroid-problem life that I have felt close to normal - my hair is not mostly gone, my eyebrows have grown back most of the way, I don't feel like I have alligator skin, no plantar fasciitis, goiter, blurry vision (ok, still have that sometimes, but mostly from the work that I do), I've lost 30 pounds (the key here is 'without my usual really trying like hell every day').

I've gotten PM's asking for this info, so thought I'd post it here:

In a nutshell

(I am not a doctor, just someone who suffered for 23 years on not enough, or the wrong kind of, thyroid medications):

Use Armour Natural Thyroid Hormone.

Split it into 2, or even 3, daily doses - very early a.m., mid-morning, and no later than 4 p.m.

Put each dose under the tongue and let it dissolve naturally (do not consume food for one hour before or one hour afterward).

Go by HOW YOU FEEL! Go by T3 and T4 blood levels rather than by TSH levels alone, and follow the more recent TSH range guidelines of 0.3 to 3.03

(edited to correct my "1.03" mistake in case someone does not read my correction post)​

Last edited:
lets see if y'all can help me with this stuff, a brief history a couple of years ago the joints in my hands and feet began to swell and hurt badly, i put it off as some kind of sickness and figured id get over it, but didn't, went to the Dr got checked for arthritis tests were neg. but i was put on stromg meds for rheumatoid arth. i later came off them and was ok, about a year ago i began to have a fullness in my throat and "cleared" my throat ALOT, went to ent dr who said my thyroid was slightly enlarged (ultrasound proof) but treated me for gerd-nexium, i came off that when i read that the dr's refuse to take it due to cardiac sideaffects, now i have a more full feeling in the throat with frequent choking feeling, i am tired all the time, dizzy a lot and have what i call brain fog. I found myself in the restroom today for no reason and had actually flushed the toilet for no reason. i still have muscle and joint pains and have an arm that is tingly a lot. i have read alot of the symptoms about thyroid issues and i see that some of the symptoms are dual symptoms for hyper and hypothyroidism. given some of my symptoms could i have a thyroid issue and if so given some of your experience with this what kind. Im going to an ENT Dr Tuesday if i can hold out with this brain fog and fatigue. thanks for your help

I have had a lot of the symptoms you describe.

Hand, feet, jaw, neck and shoulder pain are classic thyroid symptoms.

I'd ask to have T3 and T4 tested, and stick to a TSH range of 0.3-3.03.

Another thing I would HIGHLY recommend is taking Magnesium. Can't say this strongly enough!

I take Magnesium Glycinate 800 mgs. 2 x's a day, which I buy online at http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=15&at=0 (it has no laxative effect and much more easily absorbed by the body).

Probably an even better Magnesium is Jigsaw Time-Release, but I can't afford that right now.

(edited to correct my "1.03" mistake in case someone does not read my correction post)

Last edited:
Personally, having both hyper (previous) and now hypo, I did not have any fatigue symptoms with hyper. It was more of weight loss, intolerant to heat and cold, blurred vision. Signs you can't see would be increased BP and HR. Hypo is more fatigue, weight gain, and joint and muscle aches/weakness. Both had dry skin and hair. More hair loss with hyper, not so much with hypo. Also decreased BP and HR with hypo. The #1 sign is weight gain for hypo, and weight loss for hyper...I think that is what most people notice first. For me, I felt basically normal with hyper, the docs were concerned about the higher BP and HR. With hypo, I feel like s**t most of the time.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

When I was hyper, I did have daily fatigue, which I thought was strange at the time.
hu.gif
as I expected to be, well.... hyper!
wee.gif

some things i didn't mention, sometimes it feel like my heart will jump out of my chest and it only lasts a few seconds and when i stand up quickly i get a dizzy head. being a EMT i realize that some of the things listed are symptoms from several issues but are they related to thyroid problems, in school we didn't cover the endocrine system or their problems being that most problems aren't immediately life threatening.

New member have not posted before!
smile.png
Yes I have low thyroid and take meds daily. Whenever I am active my head is always wet. Gained lots of weight and It is so hard to come off. Mother of 29 birds of various bloodlines. 2 paints, 3 spoiled Aussies and a loving Hubby!
smile.png
Linda

Hi Diva!
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you have joined us!

some things i didn't mention, sometimes it feel like my heart will jump out of my chest and it only lasts a few seconds and when i stand up quickly i get a dizzy head. being a EMT i realize that some of the things listed are symptoms from several issues but are they related to thyroid problems, in school we didn't cover the endocrine system or their problems being that most problems aren't immediately life threatening.

Yes, low and high thyroid can cause pounding heart and palpitations. In the many, many years since I became hypothyroid, I think this last year has been the best - I started on a true therapeutic dose of Armour. I used to have runs of palpitations and hard pounding several times a day.

The amount of Armour that I take now does not match up with the standard TSH range, but does match up with the newer recommendations of 0.3-3.03, and my T3 and T4 are (finally) optimal.

(edited to correct my "1.03" mistake in case someone does not read my correction post)​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom