Thyroid Disease suffers

d. k.
The vitamin C probably helps because it helps calcium and magnesium uptake. These minerals help stop cramps in the legs and menstrual cramps in some people.

I read this thread because my mom is on thyroid medicine and is bipolar. When thyroid levels go off, it can exacerbate the bipolar disease. She also can't take the generic.

mom'sfolly :

d. k.
The vitamin C probably helps because it helps calcium and magnesium uptake. These minerals help stop cramps in the legs and menstrual cramps in some people.

I read this thread because my mom is on thyroid medicine and is bipolar. When thyroid levels go off, it can exacerbate the bipolar disease. She also can't take the generic.

Thyroid disorders can affect evrything in a person's body!! I have had problems with depression my whole life, that is exacerbated by my thyroid problems. Some days are worse than others, but it still messes it up.

That is one reason why I can't understand people not wanting to take the medicine! It totally messes up everything about you physically, to have the levels out of whack. I don't like taking meds every day either, but I wish I would have before they did the radioactive iodine treatment. Like I said before, at least I felt normal then! I didn't like taking meds 3 x's a day. Now it's only once, but if I don't take it, I feel miserable.​

Another side effect of thyroid disease is trigger finger. I've had surgery on both hands with 2 trigger fingers on each hand. I just want to be without pain. I'm tired of always hurting. I was always busy, now it's a chore to get things done. Oh well, we take what is given and try to live our lives.

Quote:
You need an endocrinologist, firem3. I see a good one at St. Vincent's East in Bham; good as in pro-active. I'm in low "normal" range on thyroid, but have lumpy/bumpy thyroid, fullness/choking in throat, weight gain, achy limbs, foggy tiredness, etc. A lot of docs wouldn't have put me on anything, if they were a by-the-book (or by-the-normal-range) kind of doc. But mine is proactive and sees the connected dots.

On the other end of the spectrum, for instance, my sister has the same issue and her doc in Arizona won't prescribe for her. She needs to go look for another. (My mother has it, too. It's genetic for the women in my family.)

My advice: write down all this great advice on this thread, regarding synthroid and Armour meds, & new "normal" thyroid ranges, & ask questions of your doctor. He'll check your levels, do a baseline ultrasound or scan probably, and at least you will see where you are on it. If you have an issue & your doctor's not proactive, find one who is.

But, if you're leaning towards seeing an ENT, my male ENT at Brookwood had his thyroid removed (oddly enough, his thyroid was keeping them from getting pregnant; they were able to have children after removal). So he's definitely "up" on it. Dr. Billy Cornay/Brookwood Hospital. He might suggest an endocrinologist to you that he went to.

This thread is so interesting. It's so interesting that the symptoms you guys have mentioned I've had for years but I have had blood test so frequently.

The last time I went to the Dr. was a check up on my diabetes and I mentioned to my Dr. my family history about kidney problems so she ordered blood test. The nurse called to tell me my thyroid levels were too high and they called me in some Levothyroxine and have my levels checked in 6 weeks.

I take so much other medicines for RA, fibromyalgia, restless leg, diabetes and depression but I couldn't figure when was a good time to take this.

My brain fog is so bad. I have gained so much weight but with all the joint and muscle pain and the fatigue it's really hard to exercise.

jackie

Quote:
I soo hear you on the "hard to exercise", Jackie. Not only do I have thyroid fatigue, but I have a 2 and a half year old at 41 (we adopted); so when I do have the rare moment alone, I'm exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom