Tick Sprays & Foggers

Fuzzybottom13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
East Bethel, MN
I need to know what type of tick control products are safe for use around the coop (mosquito control would be a great bonus. I DO NOT want Guineas & I can't let the chickens free range anymore as our predators have been terrible. I had a fox grab a chicken not 40ft from me as I'm running at it & screaming... Just not worth the risk anymore. I'm coming in with ticks on me every time I go to the coop & I'm sick of it. Help!

Can you use foggers? Permethrin based products? What about natural products?

I'm desperate! :)

I need to know what type of tick control products are safe for use around the coop (mosquito control would be a great bonus. I DO NOT want Guineas & I can't let the chickens free range anymore as our predators have been terrible. I had a fox grab a chicken not 40ft from me as I'm running at it & screaming... Just not worth the risk anymore. I'm coming in with ticks on me every time I go to the coop & I'm sick of it. Help!

Can you use foggers? Permethrin based products? What about natural products?

I'm desperate! :)
I'm sure to spell this wrong, but dyatamasious earth, is very friendly to pets and people, kills insects.

I really need something that can cover a larger area and last longer. Our coop is in a wooded area and I'd need to treat all along the path as well... and probably our whole yard because the dogs come in from the fenced & mowed yard with ticks even almost daily.

Has anyone used foggers? Garlic based sprays? Permethrin sprays?

I don't think there's really anything that can rid an area of pest insects without risking the population of 'good' insects.

Permethrin is a non selective insecticide....even tho it's deemed 'organic'.....it will kill honey bees and other pollinators.

Hopefully you dogs are protected somehow so the ticks that land on them will die rather than feed and reproduce.

Electric poultry netting might help your situation so the chooks are protected from fox and can eat some bugs.

I hate ticks and they seem bad this year, I strip and clothes go right in the washer and me in the shower after time spent outside.

I had a big problem with ticks last year, adult ticks and seed ticks (ugh!). Avon's "Skin So Soft" helps to repel insects. I started mixing some of it and different essential oils with water in a spray bottle. I also used Dawn Dishwashing liquid all over when I took a shower and even used a little bit with my shampoo. It did kill the seed ticks that were getting on me. I would find them on me but dead and dried up. Other than poisons, really giving your birds free range time helps a lot, also keep the grass mowed down. I have been told that spreading lime helps get rid of them. I don't know, haven't tried that one. I bet if you could make up a garlic spray it would help. You might even try spraying an ammonia mixture along your path. I know how you feel. I'd try everything I could think of short of poison. If nothing worked I would go with permethrin. There are just too many BAD diseases that you can get from ticks, especially deer ticks that hang out in wooded areas.

Have you identified what tick you're dealing with? Mine is the Lone Star tick and plain ol' brown dog tick. They can freak me out too. I wouldn't even attampt to have indoor/outdoor pets where I live. Too many ticks and fleas.

...Oh, and I use ammonia in the laundry to kill any insects that might be on my clothes (ticks, fleas, mites, etc).

Ok, so permethrin is safe to use around chickens? Just shut them up in the coop until it dries or what?

We have mostly dog ticks, but also deer ticks too. Thanks for your tips!

Ok, so permethrin is safe to use around chickens? Just shut them up in the coop until it dries or what?

We have mostly dog ticks, but also deer ticks too. Thanks for your tips!

I'm not sure so I'm not going to say but I do know that people use it in the powder form on their chickens for real bad cases of lice and mites. Some even put it in a dust bath for their birds. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom