Ticks

2boxers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Halifax Co Virginia
Good googally moogally! I live in Southern VA, and when we started having to pull ticks off the dogs back in December, I knew it was going to be a bumper crop, but holy parasites!

Oddly, my two black dogs don't have nearly the problems that my Boxer (fawn) seems to have. Maybe the ticks are attracted to that color, since it's the color of our local herd of deer?

The Frontline does not seem to be working this year-does any one have any tips on keeping them off my dogs? Honestly, I have never seen so many ticks in all my days. Even the Happy Jack dog dip ain't doin it this spring.

Free ranging Guineas!!

I've been told that putting garlic in the water that your dogs drink helps - I've never tried it since we don't have ticks here.

Good luck --- I hate ticks!!

Quote:
I agree about the guineas. I don't have much of a problem with ticks thanks to mine.

Chirpy....I've gotten ticks in Colorado...do you mean you just don't have them at your house?

The ticks could care less about what color the dog is. You can by a tick color or repellent my dogs and me get many ticks and we try everything.

I have 6 dogs - 4 of those being boxers ! and we seem to pull ticks of them all no matter what the color - I have a fawn male, a fawn female, a brindle female, and a white female and they all get ticks mostly in the ears and between the toes.

we used a spray called Bronco it is good for horse and dogs - it helps keep away fleas,ticks,gnats,biting flys,and a few other creepy bugs.
we get it at wal*mart but I have seen it sold at trator supply.

but I agree get some tick eating birds LOL

julie

I wasn't really serious about the dog's coat color
big_smile.png
(Ok...maybe I was just a little.)

Crazy4Chicks...you are lucky. My boxer is a female and she won't let me have any other female dog. Males she can handle, but no other girls.

I am going to try try the Bronco stuff. I am desperate. Well...I guess we could move to Colorado....

Has anyone tried neem oil treatments yet? I am hearing more and more about using this to control fleas and ticks on pets...Supposed to be organic and safe for pets. We are looking into trying this this year as the fleas in Texas are getting to be as bad as the mosquitos... some just as big also!.We are infested this year:barnie

boric acid powder and DE works to kill them i put boric acid in my yard and my dogs do not have any ticks I stopped using advantage as they didnt seem to need it.

Ticks in the yard is not so much the problem as are the ticks in the woods and around the creek where my dogs romp. I have to keep the ticks off the dogs or I have to keep them up. If I keep them up, then that's less protection for my flock. I don't mind bringing three big dogs into the house, but I can't do 13 chickens every night
lol.png
We have a pretty well designed coop but we also have pretty crafty coons!

Back
Top Bottom