time to build another incubator

I seem to have the temperature difference sorted. I left the incubator warming up slowly with just one 60watt bulb and the temp was with in 0.2 degrees top to bottom.

I noticed that the hotter the heater (more bulbs) the bigger the difference which makes sense as the air has less time to blend. I plan to program the bulbs so they start switching off as the temp gets closer to the set point as each bulb will be controlled by its own relay. It was surprising that a single 60watt bulb could heat the incubator since I still haven't installed the insulation over the back door of the chamber so im going to reduce the wattage of all the bulbs.

Next step is to build the control panel

So far I have installed 2 fans that will help divert the air in the control panel. I have also installed a 4 digit display (temp) and a 3 digit display (humidity).

still to install list for the control panel:

install 4 push buttons (lights, edit, plus, minus)
install arduino mega controller
install 4 green leds to show how many bulbs are on
install 4 red leds to show a bulb has failed
install 1 amber led to show the incubator is doing a self test
install 1 temp and humidity sensor
install 1 additional temp sensor as a duct over temp sensor
install 4 neon blue leds for lighting the incubator
install 1 mosfet to control the lights
install 1 7912 to control the digit displays

in the space under the incubator I still have to install

1 breaker 120v
4 ssr relays 120v (one for each light)
1 CT to measure amps which will be used to test if a bulb fails
1 computer power supply
1 standard relay to act as a safety

other parts that are planned but may be changed

up to 6 additional led lights for lighting between the draws
some type of power to the turners (not sure on details until I get the turners as I may change them to 12v). I would like to install wire chain (that's a plastic chain the wire goes in). That way the wire will be protected when the draw is opened but its expensive so I may have to find a different way.

snap shot of a test I was doing. The left display is the humidity the other 3 are temp sensors in different areas of the incubator.

One day im going to build a box that runs of a 9v battery with 5 temp and 1 humidity sensor read outs just for setting and testing incubators for hot spots. I might even have all the parts on hand after I finish this one. I figure for under $30 it will be a easy fun project that other people may find useful. Just put the box in the incubator, spread out the sensors then turn it on and see if you have hot spots. I could even add calibration screws for a extra few bucks (don't think they are required as the sensors sitting on my desk read the same).

parts are getting here so I started to build the control panel and write the code.

Nearly finished when I suddenly realized I don't like it. So now im starting control panel number 2. This time im installing a lcd instead of leds. The wife will learn to live with it...lol

found this for $40. Its the size of a dishwasher so there plenty of space to work with and its covered in stainless It was working but not cooling. So I called in a favor and had a friend take it into work to reclaim the gas but it turned out the reason it wasn't cooling is that it had no gas so that was a bonus. The last one I built https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/976303/building-a-incubator-from-a-wine-cooler is still working great so im planning on building my own controls again. No real plan just going to make this up as im going along. Im still wondering if I should turn it upside down as most of the available space is in the bottom and behind the lower 2 slide out draws (where the compressor use to be mounted). If I do turn it upside down then the vent at the bottom will be replaced with a control panel. (not as simple as it sounds as I will have to move the feet and make a new cover out of stainless but its doable) Waiting on parts from china so I will probably take a few more pics then start removing all the draws and runner to see what space I have to work with. I have already started testing some code for the controls and I promised the wife that this one will be simple to operate.
Here is one i built. Posted s bunch of prior photos if you want to see fan and heater set up.

that's a great looking incubator you have strader. I like the clean design and I like that you have taken repairs in the future into account.

Im now doing my first test runs of the heating system. Ive found some problems in the code I wrote so im slowly fixing them one at a time. I wanted a heater system that could give a large amount of heat when required but only a small amount of heat when its maintaining its setpoint. I also wanted the heating system to monitor itself so if something fails it automatically takes care of the problem and sets a alarm on the lcd to alert me so I can fix it later.

Will post more pics later after I have my honey-do's done

well its in the house and ive started testing at last. Turns out the wife deleted all the pictures of the electronics of the camera so im going to have to retake them. The green display is the temp, red is humidity that's flashing LLL to show that the humidity is lower than 30. Its still needs more work as the ceramic bulbs made in china didn't work. They are rated at 40 watts each so I was surprised when the lcd on the incubator said they were 15 watts.
So after double checking my maths I added a 60 watt bulb and the incubator said it was 60 watts. Then I read the small writing on the ceramic and found that it is a 40 watt @ 240v. Well darn that's just typical they sent the wrong ones.

For testing ive added normal light bulbs which is annoying as you can see the light through the vents but I will have to learn to live with it until I get the replacement ceramic bulbs.

Its in a odd place because Ive got my pc plugged into the arduino making a few program changes. The chamber rear insulation still needs to be finished (haven't come up with a good idea on how to do that yet) so the chamber is not acting like a heat storage device like I hoped (it is kinda but I know it will work better).

promise to get better pictures later (im hoping yellowherb didn't just delete the pics with out saving them as most of the electrical is hidden underneath in boxes)

I have wires ready for auto humidity but I haven't ordered the mister yet. The turners haven't been ordered either as that's a expense part that I wont get until im sure everything else is fixed.

relays and a used pc power supply. on the underside of the incubator

relays and the CT that measures amps for testing the bulbs before the cover goes on

control panel number 2. has a button hidden behind the panel to work the lcd on the right so my wife doesn't have to see it. I had to cut the holes for the led's and lcd a little larger then heat up some clear plastic and force the parts into the holes so they have a finished glossy look.

that's a great looking incubator you have strader. I like the clean design and I like that you have taken repairs in the future into account.

Im now doing my first test runs of the heating system. Ive found some problems in the code I wrote so im slowly fixing them one at a time. I wanted a heater system that could give a large amount of heat when required but only a small amount of heat when its maintaining its setpoint. I also wanted the heating system to monitor itself so if something fails it automatically takes care of the problem and sets a alarm on the lcd to alert me so I can fix it later.

Will post more pics later after I have my honey-do's done
I got electronic thermostat
And heater coils at incubator warehouse and its simple and efficient. Keeps temp within .4 degrees. Have two elements in case one fails. Never have had issues. You may be over engineering and over thinking it.

I got electronic thermostat
And heater coils at incubator warehouse and its simple and efficient. Keeps temp within .4 degrees. Have two elements in case one fails. Never have had issues. You may be over engineering and over thinking it.

Back
Top Bottom