tiniest chick ever! dwarf?

jaxchic

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Florida

This little guy came from my bantam game hen. I have never seen one this small before. It has such a little body the wings are way longer than its torso. The silkies in the picture are the same age. The silkies are bantams too but look at the size diff.
Is there chicken dwarfism?

I have a chick that is smaller than that! I just thought she might be a runt, she is eating and drinking well and everything else is normal but she seems to be very clingy and is always wanting to cuddle with the other chicks! Does yours do the same?

I see the wing feather growth - how old is it?

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's very cute. I find it very interesting.

Few more questions:
Was it much smaller than the others when it hatched?
It is it growing?
Is it eating and drinking well?
Is it as active as the others?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to rule out underlying health problems. I hope it's completely healthy and just itty bitty adorable!

If you have a postal scale, you should consider weighing it every few days or weekly to track its growth rate percentage compared to the others.

It's torso does look small, but my English game hen is tiny much smaller then my Silkies. I would think the Silkie chicks would be bigger. It is adorable.

I found this hen up in the hay loft (we have horses), sitting on four of the smallest little peeps ever.
I have hatched many of this hens eggs before but never saw any so miniature. Two of the peeps died I believe when she sat/stepped on them. Found them under her smooshed one morning. I know she did it they were so healthy that day...plus she just stepped on and killed a silkie yesterday...... so...she's no longer allowed to be mommy.
So I have two left of these little guys. Both very very small but one more so than the other. It's the little body that gets me.
It seems to eat, drink and sleep a lot, which is all my salmon babies do anyway so they live together.
I do think it needs snuggles a little more than the others..but it could be it trying to stay warm.
I believe they were born March 25th.

Day I found them.

They used to be roughly the same size.
I also think I have larger than average game hens, they have just gotten bigger and bigger for us over the years. I have a silkie mix who is tiny compared to my game girls. But the games are itty bitty compared to my salmon faverolles.

I think some of those pics are the chicks sibling.
I just took pictures you can see how small it is

Back
Top Bottom