Tiny round white worm eggs (?) found in poop

A05951

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Madison, WI
In a poop today, I noticed a pinkish blob that I was worried was blood, so I took a closer look with a magnifying glass. I separated the poop near the reddish blob and was struck by the sight of clusters of tiny white spheres on or within the pinkish area. I took pictures with a high resolution camera and am posting a regular size photo and a blow up to see the white eggs. They are on the top side of this piece of poop. The bottom of the poop has granules of sand stuck to it as I have a sand run. These eggs (?) are less than 1 mm in size. You can't really see them as eggs with the naked eye. Any thoughts as to what they might be before I go ahead and treat her with Valbazen, which I've used in the past for round worms.

Normal size.JPG
Blow up.JPG

I'm pretty diligent about picking up poop, like every 2-4 hours today. The thing that concerns me is it was in a fairly fresh poop within a pinkish area. Almost like her intestines are being irritated. However, all the tape worm egg/segment pics I've seen show them spread out on the poop, not concentrated in a cluster.

It's possible that they are seeds from something eaten and they just happened to end up on the surface. Flying insects can find and lay eggs on droppings very quickly since that is often how they survive. They are not the eggs from any internal parasite, those are much, much smaller. Fecal flotation tests are done with a microscope because that is the only way to see the eggs. Visible signs of internal parasites are generally limited to round worms and tapeworm segments, occasionally a whole tapeworm. Here are some image examples of internal parasite eggs, first has no scale, just for comparison of different kinds, second image is of roundworm egg on the left, capillary worm egg on the right, microscope slide at 40X magnification.
parasite.image1.jpg

bcd_parasites-in-chickens_fig-6-24066-article.jpg

Back
Top Bottom