tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

Ok folks, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a newer GQF digital sportsman with the cardboard coated in plastic hatching tray in the bottom. My issue is sticky hatches, and I noticed when I pulled the hatching tray out that there is water under it, so clearly the sticky hatch issue is too much humidity from water pooling under the hatching tray. But where is it coming from? I pulled the whole humidity system out of the incubator. Filled the water tray....no leaks. Connected all the hoses to the bucket and released the water to flow...no leaks. There's no visible drips coming down the walls of the incubator. The humidity stays around 50-60% so I doubt its condensation as I'm not seeing it on the window or anywhere else. Anyone have any suggestions or places to look that I haven't already? I've done google searches, read the GQF troubleshooting, and search the forums here and found nothing about water puddling under a hatching tray. Thanks in a advance to anyone who reads this!

My cabinet is an older one. My hatching tray is metal. I have never had any problems with water pooling under the hatching tray. I do incubate at around 35% humidity.
2013-03-06 20.13.32.jpg

I have the same incubator a few years old. What is the temperature in the room you have the incubator? Seems if no leaks it has to be condensation. My humidity is kept right around 60 because I'm incubating and hatching. Have never had that problem. I have the same drawer you have. It's on a closed in back porch with air conditioning. Keep it around 80 degrees in the room.

Ok folks, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a newer GQF digital sportsman with the cardboard coated in plastic hatching tray in the bottom. My issue is sticky hatches, and I noticed when I pulled the hatching tray out that there is water under it, so clearly the sticky hatch issue is too much humidity from water pooling under the hatching tray. But where is it coming from? I pulled the whole humidity system out of the incubator. Filled the water tray....no leaks. Connected all the hoses to the bucket and released the water to flow...no leaks. There's no visible drips coming down the walls of the incubator. The humidity stays around 50-60% so I doubt its condensation as I'm not seeing it on the window or anywhere else. Anyone have any suggestions or places to look that I haven't already? I've done google searches, read the GQF troubleshooting, and search the forums here and found nothing about water puddling under a hatching tray. Thanks in a advance to anyone who reads this!
Mine does this during hatches and absolutely drives me crazy! I actually have to put something under the bottom of the door during hatches to catch the water leaking out. I don't have sticky hatches, but the puddling water is very annoying! Have you checked your humidity with a secondary device or are you just using the onboard one? I have a secondary, calibrated unit I use as well and the one on my incubator reads 2-3% high. Mine only does this when I raise the humidity for hatches and I run it about 60-65 at this time. I have looked and the water condensation is puddled on the bottom and also up the walls as high as the tray goes :barnie So basically I think it is a combination of design and materials causing the tray to sweat and cause this, since the old metal and wire trays didn't do this. I don't particularly like this design (no egg trays and a plastic hatching tray with no airflow on the sides) and honestly wish I had my old 1200 series back (lost it in a housefire a year and a half ago) it was a bullet proof workhorse :(

I am having the same problem. Mine is brand new.

My cabinet is an older incubator that I have had for many years. It originally came with a wafer thermostat that I converted over to electronic. Try running your humidity lower. I keep mine around 35% during incubation and have great hatches and no water issues.
IMG_3499.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom