tips for farm innovators model 4200

Ok so a few further observations on my first batch with the FI

I removed the turner at day 14, and the motor on that sucker is quite hot! That combined with the eggs being a little lower on the wire rack meant I had to adjust the thermostat up a HAIR (literally a hairs width) to bring the temp back to 99/100 at middle egg level.

Again today for lockdown, once I added water I needed to make a slight adjustment upwards (even though the water was hot) to get the temp back up. I'm not joking that knob is so sensitive that if you touch it the slightest bit it reacts!

Curiously, now that I've upped the humidity to 75% the built in thermostat is reading the correct temp? Maybe it's calibrated to read in a humid environment? Either way I'm relying on my fish tank ones :)

Ok so a few further observations on my first batch with the FI

I removed the turner at day 14, and the motor on that sucker is quite hot! That combined with the eggs being a little lower on the wire rack meant I had to adjust the thermostat up a HAIR (literally a hairs width) to bring the temp back to 99/100 at middle egg level.

Again today for lockdown, once I added water I needed to make a slight adjustment upwards (even though the water was hot) to get the temp back up. I'm not joking that knob is so sensitive that if you touch it the slightest bit it reacts!

Curiously, now that I've upped the humidity to 75% the built in thermostat is reading the correct temp? Maybe it's calibrated to read in a humid environment? Either way I'm relying on my fish tank ones
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

The LG9200 is the same way. Just a tiny adjustment will send it swinging. That's why if I can get it between 99.5 and 101 I leave it alone...lol Yes, those turner motors give off a LOT of heat. That is why I switched from using my turner to hand turning. I had a full bator and the eggs closest to the motor was growing at an excellerated rate and then quitting by day 6/7. That corner of my bator was about 2 degrees higher.

thumbsup.gif

The LG9200 is the same way. Just a tiny adjustment will send it swinging. That's why if I can get it between 99.5 and 101 I leave it alone...lol Yes, those turner motors give off a LOT of heat. That is why I switched from using my turner to hand turning. I had a full bator and the eggs closest to the motor was growing at an excellerated rate and then quitting by day 6/7. That corner of my bator was about 2 degrees higher.

Yes I noticed in my test run how hot it was - I kept the eggs a few sections away from it and their development didn't seem any different than the rest. The fan might be what helped out there
smile.png
These comments are golden to know! Thanks for sharing your information!!

Yes I noticed in my test run how hot it was - I kept the eggs a few sections away from it and their development didn't seem any different than the rest. The fan might be what helped out there
smile.png

Mine has the fan, but I still have hot and cool areas of the bator. The two hatches I did before that one I didn't have a full bator, so I could just leave that corner empty and the eggs were back enough to not be affected. But the that particular hatch I had a full turner, so I had to use the corner. 100% fertility. After I started haveing first week quitters I just pulled the turner and I ended up with 36 going into lockdown and 33 hatching. I decided to hand turn after that and found I prefer it.
These comments are golden to know! Thanks for sharing your information!!
thumbsup.gif

The only quitter I had was well away from that motor, and when I opened it (blood ring at day 7) it looked like it had a small piece of the hens tract in there. You know how they shed a little sometimes? The embryo wasn't near this little chunk, so I figure it was just introduced bacteria from that which caused the failure of that embryo

Back
Top Bottom