To move outside or wait. Feedback please!

kycowgirl78

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Morgantown, Ky
I have suddenly been overrun with baby chicks. We've been using a styrafoam bator and have kept up with about a 50% hatch rate, not great but has been worse. Some relatives had a cabinet bator they werent' using and said we could use it until they decided they wanted to and also gave us a bunch of eggs. By bedtime last night we had 61 chicks hatch on top of the 22 we ordered from Cackle. We are cramped on space and are using heat lamps to heat two different sets at one time. Every plug in the bathroom is in use with either a bator, a turner or a lamp. We have a very large brooder box that is too big to bring in the house but it's on the front porch with some 2 week old chicks in it. It also has a heat lamp but we only turn it on at night because the daytime temps here have been in the 90s and plenty of humidity to keep the chicks toasty. I'm wondering if it would be ok to put some of the new chicks out there also since it is so warm outside and be sure the light is turned on every night as it gets down into the 60s. What's your opinons?

Feel free to send some of those chickies my way, or heck, even one of the 'bators!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom