To vaccinate or not to vaccinate - for mareks

Should I get the chicks vaccinated or not?

• Total voters

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hello everyone! I’ve only ever bought chicks from the farm store, so I technically don’t know if they are vaccinated for mareks, or I got a rooster from someone on here and I know he was vaccinated…. I’ve heard it’s not always good to being vaccinated birds into the flock if they haven’t been…well I didn’t know that…. How do I know what to do? I at least have one bird who is vaccinated… but I have 17 other chickens and 12 ducks on property as well.
I almost forgot to say why I made this poll! 🤦‍♀️😂 I’m going to order some new chicks soon to add to my flock, my first order ever from a hatchery!

Vaccinated birds can still get sick and carry and spread it. They just won't show it usually and won't die from it usually. So you can bring in a Vaccinated bird that's carrying mareks, which then will spread to the unvaccinated birds.

I Vaccinated chicks I bought from the hatchery (store chicks typically aren't vaccinated), but so far haven't Vaccinated my chicks hatched here. It takes 2 weeks of complete isolation from Mareks for the vaccine to work. If they're exposed before then, they won't be protected.

Back
Top Bottom