To worm or not to worm that is the question.

This is kind of amazing, and may partly depend upon where you live, and definitely depends on what your goals for chicken keeping ARE.

If you have a dog and you live where there are heart-worms - you probably give your dog a once-a-month wormer. Heart worms in dogs are nasty and will shorten their life -- and therefore why take a chance when they can be prevented?.... even though years and years and years ago - people never gave their dogs heart worm meds.

If you live where there are hard freezes over winter you may be looking at something different from those of us who live in warm climates. -

When I was on a cattle ranch for a decade we used parasite medicine on the cattle. There is one that can even be used on milk cows with no milk withdrawal period.

Why, when modern science can prevent these parasites would you not prevent them? I use cydectin - and I see no ill effects in my chickens. cydectin can also rid the chickens of external parasites..... so -- why not give your animals protection?

Regarding if people living with small areas should abstain from having chickens, or if eggs from chickens that aren't organic (nothing artificial given to them to promote their health for example) are lesser quality than supermarket eggs so just get supermarket eggs....?? Beekissed, you are a brilliant chicken keeper and a star on BYC, but to suggest that people don't have a few hens in the back yard because of the difference it doesn't make in the grocery bill -- misses a lot of enjoyment, education, and other than just grocery-bill reasons for having chickens.

Not everything can be monetized, or should be for that matter IMO. In UK it is really very common to keep a few hens at the back of the 'garden' -- Not everyone who has chickens needs to have an egg selling business - (I'm sure I misunderstood what your said) Some in UK get ex battery hens just to have a few chickens around. Some like them for bug control or for just enjoying the chickens scratching around in the grass.

It should be everyone's best choice to care for their flock as they see fit -- and everyone is dealing with slightly different circumstances and has different goals..... everyone has their own approach to keeping chickens -- There are some types of livestock, in some climates that are done a pretty big disservice by failing to worm them (generic for parasite protection) -- this includes horses, goats, cattle, and chickens along with preventing heartworm in dogs in a climate like this one.

ETA -- just to clarify my point -- it is great that lots of posters in this thread feel no need to worm, or have no wish to worm. My perspective is I want the parasites away from my chickens -- and so I want a definite regular worming schedule for their well being.

Last edited:
This is kind of amazing, and may partly depend upon where you live, and definitely depends on what your goals for chicken keeping ARE.  

If you have a dog and you live where there are heart-worms - you probably give your dog a once-a-month wormer.    Heart worms in dogs are nasty and will shorten their life -- and therefore why take a chance when they can be prevented?.... even though years and years and years ago - people never gave their dogs heart worm meds.   

If you live where there are hard freezes over winter you may be looking at something different from those of us who live in warm climates.  -

When I was on a cattle ranch for a decade we used parasite medicine on the cattle.  There is one that can even be used on milk cows with no milk withdrawal period.

Why, when modern science can prevent these parasites would you not prevent them?  I use cydectin - and I see no ill effects in my chickens.  cydectin can also rid the chickens of external parasites..... so -- why not give your animals protection?   

Regarding if people living with small areas should abstain from having chickens, or if eggs from chickens that aren't organic (nothing artificial given to them to promote their health for example) are lesser quality than supermarket eggs so just get supermarket eggs....??  Beekissed, you are a brilliant chicken keeper and a star on BYC, but to suggest that people don't have a few hens in the back yard because of the difference it doesn't make in the grocery bill -- misses a lot of enjoyment, education, and other than just grocery-bill reasons for having chickens.  

Not everything can be monetized, or should be for that matter IMO.   In UK it is really very common to keep a few hens at the back of the 'garden' -- Not everyone who has chickens needs to have an egg selling business - (I'm sure I misunderstood what your said)  Some in UK get ex battery hens just to have a few chickens around.  Some like them for bug control or for just enjoying the chickens scratching around in the grass.

It should be everyone's best choice to care for their flock as they see fit -- and everyone is dealing with slightly different circumstances and has different goals..... everyone has their own approach to keeping chickens --   There are some types of livestock, in some climates that are done a pretty big disservice by failing to worm them (generic for parasite protection) -- this includes horses, goats, cattle, and chickens along with preventing heartworm in dogs in a climate like this one.  

ETA -- just to clarify my point -- it is great that lots of posters in this thread feel no need to worm, or have no wish to worm.  My perspective is I want the parasites away from my chickens -- and so I want a definite regular worming schedule for their well being.  

How does cydectin compare to valbazen? Where do you buy cydectin and tips on how to administer it are welcome, too! I have rescued a dozen hens that were used to hatch and raise roosters for cockfighting. They were not treated well and came with a lot of worms and mites. I was not told about the worms until after they joined my 40 other hens. I live in the temperate and eternally moist and often mucky Pacific NW. Since these new birds came with worms and are now passing them to my other hens, I believe I have to de-worm them. Thanks for your help.

Hey there all
frow.gif

I have read all the posts and made some notes as I went along. I am one of those people who worm the gals every 6 months, making note of when next due.

My reason being that there are already too many ways I can lose one of my beloved featheries and hopefully worming them regularly takes away at least one of the possibilities.

I agree totally with ChicKat in that Beekissed is a brilliant chicken keeper and a star on BYC but disagree with the suggestion “they probably shouldn’t be keeping chickens at all”. I have 6 bantams who are much loved pets and I really do not care whether they lay eggs or not and what effect they have on the budget. I totally agree that it depends on what your goals for keeping chickens are.

Again, these are just some notes I made while reading others comments and just my personal opinion:

* I have read that if you can actually see worms in the poop you are at the stage where they have a ‘burden’ and at higher risk of stress from the effect that worming a ‘burden’ has on them.

* There are wormers available that do not require a withholding period on eggs.

* ACV [with mother] apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.

In the end, I truly believe it comes down to personal preference and personally, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
How does cydectin compare to valbazen? Where do you buy cydectin and tips on how to administer it are welcome, too! I have rescued a dozen hens that were used to hatch and raise roosters for cockfighting. They were not treated well and came with a lot of worms and mites. I was not told about the worms until after they joined my 40 other hens. I live in the temperate and eternally moist and often mucky Pacific NW. Since these new birds came with worms and are now passing them to my other hens, I believe I have to de-worm them. Thanks for your help.
Moxidectin is the active ingredient, and it is recommended for chickens by vets/experts in the Southern Hemisphere--- It is a cattle pour on -(expensive) You can buy it in TSC in the cattle section, and I put on 1-drop per pound of chicken. (on the bare skin that I find by lifting up the wing. I don't withold eggs -- unless I am rolling in eggs...and then I feed the scrambled ones back to the chickens for a few days.

I'm sending you a PM.

Colin Walker - a vet in Melbourne Australia
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/parasite-control-in-poultry.aspx

Last edited:
Hey there all
frow.gif

I have read all the posts and made some notes as I went along. I am one of those people who worm the gals every 6 months, making note of when next due.

My reason being that there are already too many ways I can lose one of my beloved featheries and hopefully worming them regularly takes away at least one of the possibilities.

I agree totally with ChicKat in that Beekissed is a brilliant chicken keeper and a star on BYC but disagree with the suggestion “they probably shouldn’t be keeping chickens at all”. I have 6 bantams who are much loved pets and I really do not care whether they lay eggs or not and what effect they have on the budget. I totally agree that it depends on what your goals for keeping chickens are.

Again, these are just some notes I made while reading others comments and just my personal opinion:

* I have read that if you can actually see worms in the poop you are at the stage where they have a ‘burden’ and at higher risk of stress from the effect that worming a ‘burden’ has on them.

* There are wormers available that do not require a withholding period on eggs.

* ACV [with mother] apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.

In the end, I truly believe it comes down to personal preference and personally, I would rather be safe than sorry.
What product do you use down there in Aussie-land? I went to Ironside State School and I went to St. Peter's Lutheran College when I was in 6th grade. I had a great time in Australia---but I know it is a completely different country now. Back in those days they didn't have TV -- then I think as we were moving away back to the States -- they were putting TV towers up on Mt. Coot-tha. That's how loooooooooooooong ago it was.
frow.gif

Hey ChicKat

Tee hee, yeah, that would have been a while ago! I was not born in Australia but moved out here when I was 7 which was way too many years ago to even try and remember but yep, it has changed.

The product I use is Vetsense Kilverm which is a pig and poultry wormer with an active constituent of 14g/L Levamisole.

It treats large roundworm, caecal worm and hairworm. It is contraindicated in extremely hot weather so you definitely have to get the timing right in Aus
wink.png

As mentioned, there is no withholding period on the eggs but it must not be used less than 7 days before slaughter of chickens for human consumption.

Here is my chickens living situation:

10 hens
8x17 coop that is cleaned daily
Outside all day to free range but with access to their food and clean water
Not put in a run
Not exposed to muddy areas

Are you all saying that under those conditions they should and must be wormed? Right now I can say they live a true "organic" life. If I put potent chemicals in them that not only prohibit me from eating their eggs but also prohibit me from eating their meat for a period of time they could no longer be classified as organic? I'm not selling any eggs at this point but I prefer not to be exposed to chemicals or antibiotics...it's one of the main reasons I got my own birds. I do give them fermented feed, ACV and I will give them pumpkin seeds.

Hey there Bridebeliever

I did not get the impression you were arguing.

The title of the thread is To Worm or Not to Worm and being a forum, I have found the reasons people do not worm interesting along with the reasons people do.

I totally respect people’s choice to not worm as I hope they do mine to worm.

As I said, in the end I truly believe it comes down to personal preference and while opinions have been given which may aid someone in making a decision either way, the choice is definitely a personal one.

Back
Top Bottom