To worm or not to worm that is the question.

There are different strains of the bug that causes Cocci. Different strains attack different parts of their digestive system. This has two effects. Some strains are more dangerous than others. Also, not all strains cause bleeding. They can have a serious cocci problem with no bleeding.

While red poop is a big red flag that you need to check them out, not all red poop means blood. It could be shed intestinal lining, it could be something they ate. Feed you chickens cooked beet skins and expect to see red poop the next day. Red cabbage can turn their poop blue.

After being exposed to one strain of cocci for two to three weeks the chickens develop an immunity to that strain. That does not mean they are now immune to all strains, just the strain they were exposed to. As long as the numbers in their guts do not get out of control, you’ll never know they have it. After three weeks of continuous exposure you don’t have to worry about it. They are immune to that strain. That does not mean you can them let everything stay wet and muddy. That’s still unhealthy.

I feed my brooder raised chicks some dirt from the adult run on day 2 or 3 in the brooder to get them started on developing immunity. Since I keep my brooder very dry that interrupts the life cycle of the bug that causes cocci so I give them more dirt every three or four days so they have continuous exposure. I’ve never seen a brooder raised chick with any signs of cocci.

I had a couple of broody raised chicks get cocci once. The weather set in really wet and the run stayed wet and muddy. The cocci bug thrives in wet poopy mud and evidently they ate enough that the numbers got out of hand. They were locked in the run because I had a fox problem that took a while to take care of. I haven’t had any cocci problems since I got the electric netting. The broody hens can now take them out of the mud and onto grass.

Bridebeliever, just because your chickens did not come down with cocci that time does not prove you do not have cocci in your flock. They can easily have immunity to any strain in your ground. The risks are usually new chicks too young to have immunity, new birds coming in, or a new strain of cocci gets introduced.

There are different strains of the bug that causes Cocci. Different strains attack different parts of their digestive system. This has two effects. Some strains are more dangerous than others. Also, not all strains cause bleeding. They can have a serious cocci problem with no bleeding.

While red poop is a big red flag that you need to check them out, not all red poop means blood. It could be shed intestinal lining, it could be something they ate. Feed you chickens cooked beet skins and expect to see red poop the next day. Red cabbage can turn their poop blue.

After being exposed to one strain of cocci for two to three weeks the chickens develop an immunity to that strain. That does not mean they are now immune to all strains, just the strain they were exposed to. As long as the numbers in their guts do not get out of control, you’ll never know they have it. After three weeks of continuous exposure you don’t have to worry about it. They are immune to that strain. That does not mean you can them let everything stay wet and muddy. That’s still unhealthy.

I feed my brooder raised chicks some dirt from the adult run on day 2 or 3 in the brooder to get them started on developing immunity. Since I keep my brooder very dry that interrupts the life cycle of the bug that causes cocci so I give them more dirt every three or four days so they have continuous exposure. I’ve never seen a brooder raised chick with any signs of cocci.

I had a couple of broody raised chicks get cocci once. The weather set in really wet and the run stayed wet and muddy. The cocci bug thrives in wet poopy mud and evidently they ate enough that the numbers got out of hand. They were locked in the run because I had a fox problem that took a while to take care of. I haven’t had any cocci problems since I got the electric netting. The broody hens can now take them out of the mud and onto grass.

Bridebeliever, just because your chickens did not come down with cocci that time does not prove you do not have cocci in your flock. They can easily have immunity to any strain in your ground. The risks are usually new chicks too young to have immunity, new birds coming in, or a new strain of cocci gets introduced.

Agreed ! All of my brooder raised chicks are given exposure to outside pens from 2 weeks of age.
I no longer feed medicated food, but I do keep amprolium on hand for treatment ,if necessary .

I was not in any way saying that I don't have cocci in my flock OR in my ground. What I was saying is that what my daughter had thought was bloody poo, was actually not and nothing is going on in a bad way with my chickens.
I was asking a question to all those who don't worm wondering if they don't medicate with anything at all. Some have already answered that question.

The property we moved to this summer has nothing on it except trees, grass in the yard, which grows moss and mushrooms by the trees, and pine cones and pine needles. My chickens have been sick since being here with mites, Lice and respiratory issues. I have been researching what to put in the run as well as in the flower beds. The dirt seems like there's nothing in it. How can I change the PH?

Bee gave great suggestions to try; I'd probably do that too, mulch the area and try to improve the texture of the soil; the PH is going to be acidic from all the pine needles, which is actually a good thing, but the moisture excess is causing fungal overgrowth, sounds like.

You can use that area to your advantage by finding some herbs that help the soil AND the chickens, like maybe nettles or comfrey. Maybe rosemary to keep the mites and lice out of the coop, etc :)

Bee gave great suggestions to try; I'd probably do that too, mulch the area and try to improve the texture of the soil; the PH is going to be acidic from all the pine needles, which is actually a good thing, but the moisture excess is causing fungal overgrowth, sounds like.

You can use that area to your advantage by finding some herbs that help the soil AND the chickens, like maybe nettles or comfrey. Maybe rosemary to keep the mites and lice out of the coop, etc :)
the coop is attached to the run that is all wire and posts, wire roof as well. There is nothing in that soil and it packs down super fast and easy. I shovel and turn it everyday to keep it clean. I've added a lot of dirt and sand in one corner for dusting. Can I put some if the Pine needles in the run? Or just leaves and mulch?

I would sweeten the soil with a good dusting of barn lime, that begin adding leaves, grass clippings, hay, mulch, or spent mulch chickens love. I don't turn mine the chickens do, I just add organic matter as needed or if I have it, my run is fluffy soil under the organic matter.

I would sweeten the soil with a good dusting of barn lime, that begin adding leaves, grass clippings, hay, mulch, or spent mulch chickens love. I don't turn mine the chickens do, I just add organic matter as needed or if I have it, my run is fluffy soil under the organic matter.
funny that thus all came up today. I was out doing chores this morning, looking at the dirt. I've been throwing gravel in the puddles along with straw, leaves and pine needles. I refuse to leave my cold weather chickens in the coop all day. If I'm home, i let them free range with their roosters, but if I'm gone, they're in that run. Mud is not an option. Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate it!

the coop is attached to the run that is all wire and posts, wire roof as well. There is nothing in that soil and it packs down super fast and easy. I shovel and turn it everyday to keep it clean. I've added a lot of dirt and sand in one corner for dusting. Can I put some if the Pine needles in the run? Or just leaves and mulch?

Pile it deep and add to it often in the run, as that's where it will make the most difference to your soil...in that area I'd get it a foot deep and maintain it there, if possible. I'd use the pine needles along with everything else. A good variety makes for the best compost, with different types and sizes of materials. I add small twigs, pine cones, etc. Some of the things in my coop over the years: leaves, sticks, pine needles and cones, deer fur, sawdust, shavings, ramial wood chip, bark, straw and hay in moderation, bones, old turtle shells, feathers, weed and garden refuse, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, garden scraps, canning scraps, and just about anything else that will compost along with chicken poop.

Pile it deep and add to it often in the run, as that's where it will make the most difference to your soil...in that area I'd get it a foot deep and maintain it there, if possible.  I'd use the pine needles along with everything else.  A good variety makes for the best compost, with different types and sizes of materials.  I add small twigs, pine cones, etc.   Some of the things in my coop over the years:  leaves, sticks, pine needles and cones, deer fur, sawdust, shavings, ramial wood chip, bark, straw and hay in moderation, bones, old turtle shells, feathers, weed and garden refuse, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, garden scraps, canning scraps, and just about anything else that will compost along with chicken poop. 
I can't wait to get this going!

Back
Top Bottom