Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw one of your posts on the Guinea Fowl 101 thread about your guineas chasing your "Toads". Hahaa wasn't sure what you were talking about, but I am glad I clicked this link. I have been looking for a meat bird like this! Been looking for a meat bird that doesn't fall under its own weight, somewhat cold hardy, more natural looking. Great birds!

Saw one of your posts on the Guinea Fowl 101 thread about your guineas chasing your "Toads". Hahaa wasn't sure what you were talking about, but I am glad I clicked this link. I have been looking for a meat bird like this! Been looking for a meat bird that doesn't fall under its own weight, somewhat cold hardy, more natural looking. Great birds!

Thanks..

The guineas are in the Guinea Gulag. Whether they live or die is up to the other guineas now. I really do not care. Nothing messes with my Toads, they are my babies.

celebrate.gif
glad you are spreading the toads around

Did you have any F1 males that were too big to mate successfully? or other generations?
My largest Lizard tried at 15 wks but couldn't stay on.. I'm thinking he just needs to mature and practice a little more

I am also MN resident.

I am hoping to get a few birds that would be ready for fair time. (Early August). I will have my kids show them in the Market Pen of 4H. My daughter sweet talked her way into a blue ribbon with some Speckled Sussex Roosters last year so I am sure she can get something rolling in the Market Pen for 4H.

Do you have any idea of the length of time for optimal maturity?

I am also MN resident.

I am hoping to get a few birds that would be ready for fair time. (Early August). I will have my kids show them in the Market Pen of 4H. My daughter sweet talked her way into a blue ribbon with some Speckled Sussex Roosters last year so I am sure she can get something rolling in the Market Pen for 4H.

Do you have any idea of the length of time for optimal maturity?

I do not, it depends on the weight the judges are looking for. I know they are slower growing than CX's are. But that is also the trait that makes them larger and sustainable.

I am watching those I had in the coffin and the ones now in the coffin to try and figure out the optimum time to hatch your daughters.

Here are the adult Toads out "free Ranging" this afternoon.

For size those are 2x4's the bird is roosting on. Pretty active for a big bird. One of my layer hens got close to one of the toad roosters today.

He chased her around and around. I thought he would have a heart attack trying to catch her. She did out run him, and screamed a lot. I a guessing she is a prima Dona and wants nothing to do with the fat boys. She is so shallow.

I do not, it depends on the weight the judges are looking for.   I know they are slower growing than CX's are.  But that is also the trait that makes them larger and sustainable.

I am watching those I had in the coffin and the ones now in the coffin to try and figure out the optimum time to hatch your daughters.

Well most judges are like the judge we had here they would want them around 6 1/2 pounds at county fair so they aren't too big at State.

Maybe if you have some left overs when you hatch for MNchickmom I could make a trip your way and try market too :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom