Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I will have toad eggs to go out to someone next week again. I am not having much luck staying with my ship on Monday or Tuesday. The Toad hens are not cooperating.

But why should they? Nothing has been easy with these guys. I have only 4 toad hens. I have decided only 2 are laying. The last dozen I was working on was not full and going to be too old, so I set them myself, with the hopes of giving some trios away to Minnesota people. I need more toads.

The toads spent the day free ranging again yesterday. Free ranging for a toad means following me around and hanging out in the same area I am in. They forage some but there is not a lot of forage available in Minnesota in Feb.

When I put them to bed last night one of the roosters was wheezing and I think his comb was turning purple/blue.
I am somewhat worried he will be dead this morning. I think he over exerted himself chasing the skinny hens. He has quite the eye for the women and was trying to catch one most of the day. I warned him, and told him he was going to give himself a heart attack chasing them. I tried to get it on video but didn't get much. I did get this one little attempt..

0.jpg

I'm going to follow this for a while. I don't have the space right now, but in the next year or so I may have a lot of space to work with unusual breeds. A high quality free-ranging meat chicken that breeds true interests me. If I get the space I'd like, I will be working with a group to form a sustainable community with sustainable agriculture, meaning birds like these could be fairly essential.

Out of curiosity, have you written up something like a SOP for them? Or do you intend to keep them as a landrace?

I will have toad eggs to go out to someone next week again. I am not having much luck staying with my ship on Monday or Tuesday. The Toad hens are not cooperating.

But why should they? Nothing has been easy with these guys. I have only 4 toad hens. I have decided only 2 are laying. The last dozen I was working on was not full and going to be too old, so I set them myself, with the hopes of giving some trios away to Minnesota people. I need more toads.

The toads spent the day free ranging again yesterday. Free ranging for a toad means following me around and hanging out in the same area I am in. They forage some but there is not a lot of forage available in Minnesota in Feb.

When I put them to bed last night one of the roosters was wheezing and I think his comb was turning purple/blue.
I am somewhat worried he will be dead this morning. I think he over exerted himself chasing the skinny hens. He has quite the eye for the women and was trying to catch one most of the day. I warned him, and told him he was going to give himself a heart attack chasing them. I tried to get it on video but didn't get much. I did get this one little attempt..

0.jpg

Is he okay?

I would run too if I were the hen. I could hear the pounding ground noises even though I have no speakers on my pc haha

I am amazed at the size of the Toads. I'll be watching :)

I'm really into my layers and fresh eggs right now, but I do want to get into meat birds within the next year. These look like wonderful birds. Congratulations on your hard work paying off. Other than an accidentally having one egg hatch out, I've not looked into hatching my own. I think I am going to try some day olds to get my skill set and then do my research on incubating. When i'm ready I'll definitely be looking for some Toad eggs. Will definitely be following your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom