Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Good luck,,,, here is the next toad daddy,,,I think he has the coolest comb. He is young but should work. I have 3 roosters and 9 hens going into breeding season.
57AE47C8-B7D2-4A8A-B8B5-D36EA8BF6198.jpeg
DFF5941E-44F4-4D68-BF47-E82A631FEFBA.jpeg
25BBE83B-E5D1-48B7-9854-65B85C3DF501.jpeg
66942BAB-90EE-468F-AE08-BC3D47F7C60C.jpeg

The Toad is a 4 step process,

The first Generation is Cx crossed to CX,, That is known as a frog

Next Generation is a Frog to a Dixie Rainbow, This becomes a lizard
Then the lizard is crossed back to the CX.

That gives you a toad, it is 7/8th CX and 1/8 Dixie rainbow. That little Rainbow gives a bigger bird that does not eat itself to death.
They are huge with more dark meat to white meat ratio. They are not lazy slobs.

The hard part was keeping CX's alive long enough to breed them. The Toads are not problem. They seem to live longer than the CX's.
holy cow, how did you keep a CX alive long enough to lay, and how the heck did you manage to breed them?

OMG I LOVE his comb and that should do wonderful for the new toadies up there in Minnesota that is what I'm hoping with mine as well as better able to handle heat since its not uncommon for 100 plus days for weeks on end down here in KS and yet to hit any temp in cold weather as well.

OMG I LOVE his comb and that should do wonderful for the new toadies up there in Minnesota that is what I'm hoping with mine as well as better able to handle heat since its not uncommon for 100 plus days for weeks on end down here in KS and yet to hit any temp in cold weather as well.
Just a freindly warning..... toads do not do well in heat.

Just a freindly warning..... toads do not do well in heat.
Nods I remember that we discussed that last year I have plenty of shade in my yard, and a great number of fans in their coop which is attached to my air-conditioned basement so can open the separator between the two to bring the coop down to a cool 70 when needed no problem.

Why is this?
To put it indelicately. They are too big, the same temperature that a 100 pound person is happy in is usually far too hot for a 3-400 pound person due to mass. Even though it's not pure fat, it still works the same way.

Horses are the same, a small, fine boned horse will do better in hot conditions than a big muscled horse that could be used for plowing.

Very interested in these birds. I stayed to read it and jumped to the end after about 10 pages. Interested in something like this for personal meat use for friends and family. Sending you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom