Today's temperature = # of eggs.

We currently are in a holding pattern of weather about 25F high with say 5 low. This came up from last week. Not using lighting as we normally do give 12 hours and will again next year...so different.

Today: 3 eggs from 5 hens/pullets but all were cracked as I didn't get there to 3 PM so frozen, put to compost and gave the gals two hands of BOSS.

ETA: Last weeks low was -10F with highs all week barely topping 15f.

Last edited:
We currently are in a holding pattern of weather about 25F high with say 5 low. This came up from last week. Not using lighting as we normally do give 12 hours and will again next year...so different.

Today: 3 eggs from 5 hens/pullets but all were cracked as I didn't get there to 3 PM so frozen, put to compost and gave the gals two hands of BOSS.

ETA: Last weeks low was -10F with highs all week barely topping 15f.
BRRRRRRR! We have a red heat lamp in our coop but it is just to keep the water from freezing at night, of course the birds do benefit as well. We would certainly have to do some reworking of the coop if our temps were consistantly as low as yours!

BTW - 47 degrees today 5/17 for us. My guess for tomorrow 10/17. Bruce, we'll see what that does to your theory!

well the weather is getting warmer and we are getting fewer eggs... 3 today and 3 yesterday!
Uh-oh! Don't say that too loud. Bruce is looking for more support for his "cold-laying" theory.
hide.gif

Were the membranes still intact? I'd be considering hard boiling them

What a coincidence! It was 37 degrees here yesterday.

But I am talking Celsius, and I was hosing the chooks down to keep them cool - lol.

Too darned hot. Temps like that are one reason I moved from So. Cal when I graduated college. Of course it was 46 C (or over) in the shade 3 days the week I moved. Makes 37 C look down right comfortable.

Yep- I find the heat more than the cold slows the laying rate down here.
well the weather is getting warmer and we are getting fewer eggs... 3 today and 3 yesterday!
BTW - 47 degrees today 5/17 for us.

Hmm, and yesterday was 47 and you got 9 eggs.

32 F here today. A measly 4 eggs and I now have 11 girls laying.
See Puddin? LOTS of 'proof' of my scientifically proven
wink.png
theory
gig.gif

Supposed to be colder tomorrow and whether my booooooggggguuuussss theory is true or not, those girls better kick out more than 4.
They are an embarrassment to chicken hood!

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom