Today's temperature = # of eggs.

disappointed in the girls today - 4 eggs out of 5 barred rocks, 5 welsummers and one white jersey giant. It went up to 14 today after having lows of around -25 most of the week. I have lights on for 13.5 hours a day and the coop does have a small heater to keep it just above freezing at nest box height. They averaged 8 eggs a day, just like usual, all through the week when coop temps were around 10 to 12. I did clean out the coop this afternoon so maybe that threw a few of them off. I don't think temps matter very much.

6 degrees, coldest it has been in the last 20 years, my 10 seperate red sex-links ALL, BEGAN laying eggs. One from EACH!!
I thought the cross would work very nicely and have a lot of hardiness to them. Proud of the chickens for laying with no additional light or heat(it is winter here) and proud of me and my selective breeding, which one am I more proud of? Me, of course. :) Just kidding, THEM!

Temperatures were hanging around 20 degrees to 30 degrees, so I am really proud of them. Glad I have 100 more! ;D

Last edited:
22 eggs temp 50 f last nigh 42 f
D brama ,bo,rir astrolorps,b Rocks, no blue egg for a week from my ee hen
we have 23 hens

7 J quail eggs 9 hens

Last edited:
disappointed in the girls today - 4 eggs out of 5 barred rocks, 5 welsummers and one white jersey giant. It went up to 14 today after having lows of around -25 most of the week. I have lights on for 13.5 hours a day and the coop does have a small heater to keep it just above freezing at nest box height. They averaged 8 eggs a day, just like usual, all through the week when coop temps were around 10 to 12. I did clean out the coop this afternoon so maybe that threw a few of them off. I don't think temps matter very much.
do not be disapointed in the girls can you imagine how cold there bums get when they lay an egg ?

I got a goose-egg....

No, really!
A goose egg, 2 australorp eggs, one wyandotte, and a big dark brown welsummer egg!
Almost balmy 68 degrees!

Back
Top Bottom