Tolbunt Polish

We'd like to begin breeding polish and would love to figure out how to get tolbunt and candy corn/crele, but we're new to the polish breed. We've had one golden laced pullet for several months that my kids begged me for and now absolutely love, and she has finally begun to lay. They call her "Mohawk", and I don't have the heart to tell them that she's actually got more of an afro, LOL. Right now she's being kept with our Seramas since our big birds were picking on her too much. One of our broody Serama Mommas is sitting on a couple of her eggs right now, so we'll soon find out what a Polish/Serama cross looks like. I'm not 100% sure that the tiny Serama roosters have been successful in breeding her, but we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, we've liked Mohawk her so much that I picked up a dozen more Polish chicks from a local seller about three weeks ago. Nothing too fancy, he gets most of his birds from Privett, which is only about an hour away from us, and that's where these came from. The varieties that I got from him were golden laced and white crested black polish. Once they're feathered out enough to go outside, we'll put Miss Mohawk with her new little friends in their own coop.

So here are some questions that I have:

What other varieties would I need to add to get tolbunt and crele/candy corn? If I understand correctly, adding Motled and/or Mille Fleur and crossing them to the gold laced will give me give me tolbunt, is that correct? Crossing the golden laced with the white crested black will give us all black from what I've read. No idea though how to get the candy corn/crele though, so I'd love to know if anyone can advise. Does anyone know of a hatchery that sells motled and/or mille fleur varieties to add to our flock to get the tobunt? What will the white crested black crossed to motled or mille fleur result in?

Also, I know that these aren't standard varieties, but will the tolbunt and crele/candy corn breed true once you've got them? Thanks, sorry for the noob questions!

Quote:
The quickest way is going to be getting a tolbunt rooster. Breed the golden hen to the tolbunt rooster and keep back all pullets that come out tolbunt. Breed them back to the rooster. From there, she should be on her way. I always like to keep some goldens or goldens splits though to promote diversity and also to help with the issue of mottling becoming too prominent. Good luck to your friend!

Awesome! Do you have a Tolbunt rooster you can sell me neighbor?!
1f602.png
1f609.png

While replying to your post, I noticed you are near the Lubbock area. I am near Amarillo!

Awesome! Do you have a Tolbunt rooster you can sell me neighbor?!
1f602.png
1f609.png

Haha, I'm in the throes of hatching season so it's all roosters in deck at my house! I've got three tolbunt cocks active this spring in my breeding pens. Later this spring I might sell you one. I could also sell you some chicks since you're so close. Mine are still a project (as many are), so I don't advertise chicks as breed or show quality
1f60a.png

Haha, I'm in the throes of hatching season so it's all roosters in deck at my house! I've got three tolbunt cocks active this spring in my breeding pens. Later this spring I might sell you one. I could also sell you some chicks since you're so close. Mine are still a project (as many are), so I don't advertise chicks as breed or show quality
1f60a.png

Vanahjeane I'd be glad to take you up on either option! I'll pm you with my contact info and we'll figure something out. The breeder that I got our sole golden laced polish from in DFW last year was working on both Tolbunt and Crele, so I suspect that she is actually a split Golden Laced/Tolbunt. She has more black than gold in her feathers and she's got a little bit of white feathering at the back of her crest, so I've suspected that she might be a split since you said that.

Wouldn't breeding her to a tolbunt or even another split Rooster would give me a big shortcut to Tolbunt chicks? At least as opposed to having to grow out these Golden Laced Polish and Mottled Houdans that I currently have in the brooder and then cross them, and then crossing the F1's back again to a Golden Laced. Getting one of your cockerels would probably save me at least a couple of years if I'm understanding the genetics correctly.

But then again, I majored in theology, not biology LOL

Does anybody Have any tolbunts here on BYC ?

If so can you post some pics. I'd really like to see some.

The color patterns & shades Varry from what I can see.

So I'm guessing, & I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that people made them their own way using different breeds to get the tolbunt color /img/smilies/hu.gif

Is there something written out that explains the genetics or creation of the Tolbunt color ?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Does there happen to be anyone on here with eggs they could spare? I have a frizzle tolbunt rooster(well he is lacking in the white department, but does have very minimal markings, so I think he is slightly better than a split). But I only have a buff hen and a heavy mottled hen to pair with him. I'd really love to purchase 6-12 eggs for a reasonable price and will pay shipping if anyone could help me progress with this astoundingly beautiful color. =)

Does there happen to be anyone on here with eggs they could spare? I have a frizzle tolbunt rooster(well he is lacking in the white department, but does have very minimal markings, so I think he is slightly better than a split). But I only have a buff hen and a heavy mottled hen to pair with him. I'd really love to purchase 6-12 eggs for a reasonable price and will pay shipping if anyone could help me progress with this astoundingly beautiful color. =)

I would also like to buy a few eggs if anyone happens to want to spare a few to start my own line.

Back
Top Bottom