Tolbunt Polish

Hello!

Does anyone know where I could get some good show quality tolbunt polish hatching eggs?

Tolbunt polish are not an accepted variety yet, so they're not technically "show quality." You can take some and win BV at shows that have Tolbunts. I think it's a great idea to show them, even if you can't win, if for no other reason to spread knowledge about them.

The PBC Tolbunt committee has a proposed standard before the APA and looks forward to feedback from the APA soon.

As for buying, it is difficult this time of year because most breeders are picking keepers right now. You might get lucky and find some culls paired off at local auctions, But you'd have to be aware that the breeder is getting rid of them because they don't fit in the breeding program m. However, I've seen a lot of advertisements from Over Easy Chicken Ranch on Facebook. I don't have any of their birds and can't attest to quality. They ship, which is nice.

Hope this info helps!

Ok, so what is the main differences between Tolbunt, Crele, & Candy Corn Polish? ((In layman's terms with pics, please.)) I have what was sold to me as Crele but have been told they look like Candy Corn Polish. Also, which color is more desired & higher priced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I can't promise that I am giving you the best advice, but I'll do my best.

Right now, Tolbunts are considered a red/golden laced bird with the mottling gene. Creles and candy corns have a barring gene. The mottling gene and the barring gene have different effects on the color pattern on the feathers.

Rudimentary breakdown (genetic geniuses don't kill me here!)
Tolbunt = golden laced with white blob on the end (pic 1, from BYC Tolbunt page)

Crele/candy corn = barring (pic 2, BYC)

Mixing a Tolbunt to a Crele or candy corn will ruin the tolbunt's coloring. If you desire Tolbunt, you'll have a ton of heartache if you mix in a barring gene.

As for value, I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Tolbunts are more valuable simply because they're in the process of being officially accepted by the APA. I haven't seen a committee for creles or candy corns yet in the PBC, which is where they'd go to get APA recognition. However, designer breeds can bring a lot of attention, so the right buyer might pay top dollar for a candy corn.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hello. I purchased hatching eggs, what I thought I was buying was tolbunts AND creles, pics were of tolbunts and creles that I thought were being housed seperately. Disappointingly, the parents turned out to be project birds and not established tolbunts so my chicks are actually poor quality gold laced, crele ( 2 different types?) and this one that I thought was candy corn (breeder said it would be but...) with no tolbunts. So I thought maybe those that are breeding tolbunts may have seen some of these colors and help me figure out what it is. Also, can these be the start of a tolbunt project if I let them grow out and choose the best type then work towards color, since parents at least visually appeared to be tolbunt and crele? She does have a bit of black in her tail and around her neck. One of the gold laced One of the crele (roo) and the one I'd like to keep because of his color and personality but I think the other crele has better type? another crele, this one is a roo but I have a pullet same color
Hi! I love your birds, but I'd say find a new batch if you are wanting to work the Tolbunt project. Don't get me wrong, I've got a ton of crosses on my place and they're all great. However, anything with a barring gene is going to really hurt you genetically if you're working on Tolbunts. It was originally done as an experiment by a US founder of the Tolbunt color. He learned his lesson and moved on. Don't worry, we're all trying to figure this out together! I just want to save you the stress of trying to eliminate the barring gene. Your GL polish would need a lot of work to help you in a program. I'd say your best bet is to find a reputable breeder for Tolbunts and ask them for some advice and input. Tolbunts are still a project and they need people to get involved and help out! if you're kind, patient, and you pester the right person, you might find yourself with some excellent birds for a good price. Most breeders just want to know your dedicated to helping preserve and promote the variety. I hope this helps!

Tolbunt polish are not an accepted variety yet, so they're not technically "show quality." You can take some and win BV at shows that have Tolbunts. I think it's a great idea to show them, even if you can't win, if for no other reason to spread knowledge about them.

The PBC Tolbunt committee has a proposed standard before the APA and looks forward to feedback from the APA soon.

As for buying, it is difficult this time of year because most breeders are picking keepers right now. You might get lucky and find some culls paired off at local auctions, But you'd have to be aware that the breeder is getting rid of them because they don't fit in the breeding program m. However, I've seen a lot of advertisements from Over Easy Chicken Ranch on Facebook. I don't have any of their birds and can't attest to quality. They ship, which is nice.

Hope this info helps!

I looked into Over Easy Chicken Ranch, and I like their birds. And I have gotten other breeds from the in the past. But, I don't want to pay $30 a chick, and they don't sell hatching eggs.

I looked into Over Easy Chicken Ranch, and I like their birds. And I have gotten other breeds from the in the past. But, I don't want to pay $30 a chick, and they don't sell hatching eggs.

Although that might be a bit higher than some other sellers, it's really not bad compared to trying to purchase a breeding pair. Around here, a so-so pair runs around $150 (if you can find them for sale). One time, I managed to get 5 chicks for $100, but the seller was getting out of the variety and just wanted them gone. If you are looking for hatching eggs, you should look on ebay. I know there are always tolbunt eggs up for sale there, although I cannot attest to their quality. Most of the breeders working toward the proposed standard don't sell eggs.

Although that might be a bit higher than some other sellers, it's really not bad compared to trying to purchase a breeding pair. Around here, a so-so pair runs around $150 (if you can find them for sale). One time, I managed to get 5 chicks for $100, but the seller was getting out of the variety and just wanted them gone. If you are looking for hatching eggs, you should look on ebay. I know there are always tolbunt eggs up for sale there, although I cannot attest to their quality. Most of the breeders working toward the proposed standard don't sell eggs.

I'll look around on eBay.

I didn't know that tolbunt wasn't accepted in shows. I was told that they were. What colors are accepted?

I'll look around on eBay.

I didn't know that tolbunt wasn't accepted in shows. I was told that they were. What colors are accepted?

You can show them, but because they aren't an accepted variety by the APA, the best you can win is Best Variety. (Technically I guess you could win BB if the only polish at the show are Tolbunts? You'd have to ask someone else about that). You can't win an APA sanctioned show with a Tolbunt polish. There is currently a committee working to get them accepted. The proposed standard has been submitted to the APA and we are waiting for feedback. Hopefully we will hear something this fall.

There are a number of colors accepted in both bantam and large fowl, the polish breeder's club website has them listed, as well as in the APA & ABA SOP.

Back
Top Bottom