Tomatoes?

ellandeeranch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
My hens seem to love strawberries, blackberries, corn, and corn leaves (torn up). They pretty much ignore tomatoes, even the little sweet 100 cherries my dog keeps taking! Is this common? I thought tomatoes were a food the hens like.

Maybe they are just picky eaters
tongue.png

My guy love ripping them up.

Matt

My hens seem to love strawberries, blackberries, corn, and corn leaves (torn up). They pretty much ignore tomatoes, even the little sweet 100 cherries my dog keeps taking! Is this common? I thought tomatoes were a food the hens like.

Try cutting the tomato in half and set it down cut side up....the little seeds might get their attention. They may not see the whole thing as food. My hens love tomatoes, actually they attack anything red with gusto!! And lots of chasing

Sometimes it takes them awhile to acquire a taste for new foods. That said, I've been throwing tomato scraps into the compost where the chickens forage ever since we had them, and I can't say that mine love them. They do eat them, but not with the great gusto they show when berries, chopped grapes, left over scrambled egg, and scraps of bread and pasta are on the menu.

I have so many tomatoe plants growing its not funny, and my chickens think its a smorgasbord ! I have to keep them at bay with the sprinkler which most times they will not cross, ugh, today they got my strawberries again. Looks like no strawberries this year :( this is the third time now they got to them.

Amen on the strawberries. I grow in containers out here, because the gophers just get everything if I don't. Any little berries that don't appeal to the eye go in with the pullets.
I have so many tomatoe plants growing its not funny, and my chickens think its a smorgasbord ! I have to keep them at bay with the sprinkler which most times they will not cross, ugh, today they got my strawberries again. Looks like no strawberries this year
sad.png
this is the third time now they got to them.

That worked. Thanks. Now they're going for the tomatoes.
Try cutting the tomato in half and set it down cut side up....the little seeds might get their attention. They may not see the whole thing as food. My hens love tomatoes, actually they attack anything red with gusto!! And lots of chasing

Back
Top Bottom