Too many drakes or not enough ducks?

To keep or not to keep, that is the question !

• Keep and get more hens

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Rehome

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

kschaff1

Chirping
May 19, 2019
I got my baby muscovies about a month and a half ago and they’ve gotten so big and beautiful but for so long I could not figure out if they were male or female. Everything said I should be able to tell by size and voice but they looked similarly sized and they don’t really talk a lot so I just wasn’t sure. Well today I picked up three young females and finally realized, they’re both drakes. I’m almost positive. They’re both significantly larger than the three girls. So now I don’t know what I want to do. I didn’t really want drakes and then I decided well if one is a drake I’ll still keep him thinking there’s no way they’ll both be male, I can’t be that unlucky! But I am. Of course. So I guess I’m just trying to decide if I want to keep both and add more girls in the future or if I want to rehome one. How many of you guys have been here and what did you guys decide to do?

17736AC8-AC75-4E43-82F3-002E295025EC.jpeg
197451B8-8E7A-4EC4-AB35-102032BD6FA6.jpeg
Can you post photos? Drakes are inevitable when raising ducks. You can wait until you have troubles before getting rid of one.

How old are they? Tails can help to tell male from females too. Hens have more rounded, and drakes more pointed.

https://www.raising-ducks.com/determining-muscovy-gender/
They’re about 9 weeks or so, so they’re still babies and still going through changes I know. They don’t seem to keep their tail feathers in the pointed shape like the hen from that article does but I have read that adults do that more so I didn’t use that as a guide. I was hoping I’d be able to tell for sure when their voices change!

I was gifted four ducks last fall, from a neighbor, and realized after the fact, that it was 3 drakes and one hen. They all get along well, but I am raising 3 more females to add to the flock now! Good luck!

I was gifted four ducks last fall, from a neighbor, and realized after the fact, that it was 3 drakes and one hen. They all get along well, but I am raising 3 more females to add to the flock now! Good luck!
Thank you, good luck to you too!

They’re about 9 weeks or so, so they’re still babies and still going through changes I know. They don’t seem to keep their tail feathers in the pointed shape like the hen from that article does but I have read that adults do that more so I didn’t use that as a guide. I was hoping I’d be able to tell for sure when their voices change!
Muscovy don't go through a voice change. That's mallard based ducks. You should be able to tell by 3 months if there are bigger males. If they all look around the same size currently they could all be the same sex. Males tend to be big chunk monkeys pretty early, so often they stick out visually.

Just going by head shape yours look female, but better pictures may help.

Muscovy don't go through a voice change. That's mallard based ducks. You should be able to tell by 3 months if there are bigger males. If they all look around the same size currently they could all be the same sex. Males tend to be big chunk monkeys pretty early, so often they stick out visually.

Just going by head shape yours look female, but better pictures may help.
From what I’ve read the males can only make a hissing noise once they go through “puberty” so that’s what I was waiting to hear. They do look bigger than the girls I just got and those girls are all older than these two. I’m still going to wait it out and see but I’m pretty much expecting them both to be males. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong though!

Back
Top Bottom