Too many Roos...Which would you keep?

Which Rooster would you keep?

• Total voters

TheQuinns

Chirping
Apr 30, 2019
So to start all of these guys were supposed to be hens. Buff Brahma, EE, Blue Copper Maran, and a Polish.
I have a mix of 25 hens. Barred Plymouth Rocks, Blue copper Marans, Blue Plymouth Tint, EE, Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex. I really only want to keep 2 for breeding purposes. (pure bred and barnyard mutts) The BCM is staying 100% keeper. Which other should i keep? Buff Brahma, EE, or Polish and why would you choose?

all except the polish are super mellow and they all check on the hens and keep them from bickering.

So to start all of these guys were supposed to be hens. Buff Brahma, EE, Blue Copper Maran, and a Polish.
I have a mix of 25 hens. Barred Plymouth Rocks, Blue copper Marans, Blue Plymouth Tint, EE, Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex. I really only want to keep 2 for breeding purposes. (pure bred and barnyard mutts) The BCM is staying 100% keeper. Which other should i keep? Buff Brahma, EE, or Polish and why would you choose?
I probably wouldn’t keep the polish since it’s a smaller breed and probably won’t “get the job done.” My barred rock rooster was really good. Never had any problems with him being aggressive and the girls liked him. Of course each rooster/hen are different with different personalities so who knows. It really depends on what you are looking for with offspring.

My last two Brahma roosters didn't work out.
One was Buff and he was the only rooster I ever had that just couldn't be in any contact with another rooster. He was literally ready to fight to the death with any other rooster.
The last one was a gold laced and came with pullet. I raised them for months and months and months to finally reach maturity. After the 3rd egg he killed her.
These are your birds I'd choose yourself knowing them rather then taking suggestions from us that dont. Just my opinion.

What are your goals? What do you want to achieve with that mating? Are you going to eat the offspring, sell them, keep the girls for eggs? Only for pets? Does appearance matter? Size? What I'd do doesn't matter. My goals are different from yours and for your flock your goals and your desires are what matters. Not anybody else's.

My goals are mainly for meat. I would not keep the Polish, he's probably a bantam. I don't keep decorative chickens anyway but his offspring would be too small. I have no idea what an EE looks like. EE's are not a breed so they could be anything. Any color and any size. May or may not have the blue shell gene. The Brahma would be too slow to maturity for me. The Marans probably would not be bad and should be able to keep all eggs fertile. But those are for my goals and personal preferences. I have no idea what yours are.

Back
Top Bottom