Too many Roos...Which would you keep?

Which Rooster would you keep?

• Total voters
That is probably the best idea I've seen in the whole thread.
I really like this idea. I think what i may do is hatch out some pure marans and maran cross. and keep one of the maran cross roos. Then separate the brahma with his own flock with some of my wyandottes and speckled sussex just to see what happens (Plumage of hens could be really nice). I may even put the ee with a few ee hens and incubate a few eggs just to see if i get more blue egg hens but either way i will cull him for the pot along with the polish. Egg color is not that big a deal for me but it does look nice to have a mixed color basket sitting on the counter.

So I made a decision. I will only be keeping one rooster from my current flock. The Maran gets to stay. The EE will hang around until I get an incubator and can get a few fertile eggs from the hens I pair him with just to see what happens with his pullets. The Brahma and Polish will be culled for the pot this evening. The Brahma started pulling feathers and he is simply too large and clumsy when mounting for the majority of the hens. My kids wont like it but it is what has to be done for the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom