Too stupid to live

I love them too....but my guinea committed suicide banging its head against the coop door in order to get in with the other ones. Poor Guy.

They come from Africa and have to be skittish in order to not be food. If I lived somewhere warm, having a Vulturine Guineafowl would be so cool!

1686757745910.png

It's less about them being stupid and more about us not knowing more about them. If you dropped me into Africa, or even NYC, I'd probably not be equipped to survive long on my own.
Guineas don't like change, for good reason. Unlike us, they have monovision, so they kind of rely on things being where they always are. If you move their water dispenser every day, you'll have frustrated birds.
They can't see in the dark, so once the sun sets, they're stuck wherever they are until it comes back up, unless we leave a light on.
They weren't meant to be where it's cold and wet. Adults do ok, but if they've keets tagging along through wet grass or chilly mornings, odds are some will succumb.
There's not a lot of info for us to read to learn about them, so learning comes mainly from watching. I've learned a lot just quietly sitting with them while they free range and in the coop when they're broody. Just remember, if you walk through your house and someone has moved your furniture around, you'd be confused too, and that's assuming you don't have monovision.😉

Since it was brought up a couple of times about a chicken’s night vision:

It helps to factor in that it only exacerbates the lack of problem solving brain function when the fowl can’t see.

Fowl are practically blind in the dark when we can still see well enough. This is because we have so many more rods in our eyes than they do.

Chickens have a 1:6 ratio of rods to cones in their eyes. 1 rod for every 6 cones. Humans have a 20:1 rods to cones. Our night vision is not that great at all, but it is stellar compared to a chicken.

The trade off for fowl is they can see in the ultraviolet color spectrum whereas we can’t. Though I don’t know for sure, my guess is that the poisonous plants give off a certain color hue alarm in ultraviolet because it is amazing how they seem to know exactly which plants to avoid eating.

Despite Guinea fowl appearing to have the lowest IQ of any creature on the planet, somehow they have survived 1000’s of years in a brutal environment. How? I have no freaking idea. Lol

Despite Guinea fowl appearing to have the lowest IQ of any creature on the planet, somehow they have survived 1000’s of years in a brutal environment. How? I have no freaking idea. Lol
Too many people apply what they know about chickens to other fowl. Guineas have different instincts than any other poultry. Equating instincts to intelligence is wrong.

It's less about them being stupid and more about us not knowing more about them. If you dropped me into Africa, or even NYC, I'd probably not be equipped to survive long on my own.
Guineas don't like change, for good reason. Unlike us, they have monovision, so they kind of rely on things being where they always are. If you move their water dispenser every day, you'll have frustrated birds.
They can't see in the dark, so once the sun sets, they're stuck wherever they are until it comes back up, unless we leave a light on.
They weren't meant to be where it's cold and wet. Adults do ok, but if they've keets tagging along through wet grass or chilly mornings, odds are some will succumb.
There's not a lot of info for us to read to learn about them, so learning comes mainly from watching. I've learned a lot just quietly sitting with them while they free range and in the coop when they're broody. Just remember, if you walk through your house and someone has moved your furniture around, you'd be confused too, and that's assuming you don't have monovision.😉
They've grown considerably since I posted this question and totally agree with you about watching them. Well said!

Since it was brought up a couple of times about a chicken’s night vision:

It helps to factor in that it only exacerbates the lack of problem solving brain function when the fowl can’t see.

Fowl are practically blind in the dark when we can still see well enough. This is because we have so many more rods in our eyes than they do.

Chickens have a 1:6 ratio of rods to cones in their eyes. 1 rod for every 6 cones. Humans have a 20:1 rods to cones. Our night vision is not that great at all, but it is stellar compared to a chicken.

The trade off for fowl is they can see in the ultraviolet color spectrum whereas we can’t. Though I don’t know for sure, my guess is that the poisonous plants give off a certain color hue alarm in ultraviolet because it is amazing how they seem to know exactly which plants to avoid eating.

Great information about vision and very well said!

Too many people apply what they know about chickens to other fowl. Guineas have different instincts than any other poultry. Equating instincts to intelligence is wrong.
Well said and thanks for adding your insight! No doubt that their survival instincts are very keen (at least on some fronts) but I wouldn't mistake it for intellect, that's for certain.

As an update, I let the flock range for most of each day but when I've got the dogs working in the area, I bring all the guineas into their ~500 sq ft. Run which is attached to their shed. Of the original foolish 4, 3 have flown out of the run and directly into the dog's mouths. And when I say directly I mean that literally. Maybe they're having a go at defending the flock? I'll probably never know.

All the others lay low in the tall vegetation of the run while the dogs are working.

Anyway; it seems as though they have been naturally selected. I hate to lose animals of course but my operation can't really run without the predator and pest control the dogs provide and none of the 3 have suffered any longer than they would have if I dispatched them myself.

Add in the human trait of believing other animals are just "poor dumb animals." We don't understand how they communicate, so they must not communicate. That's our folly. I think a lot of instincts that we once had we've forgotten given to convenience. We have others telling us what to eat, what meds to use, etc. But if those conveniences disappeared tomorrow, few would know what plant to grab for bleeding or upset stomach, or which of those pretty flowers we plant are edible or poisonous. Yet animals romp through flower beds without eating lilies but munching on dandelions. Guineas will bypass onions (or pull them out of the ground), but chow down on the chives next to them. If a hen is dropping shellless eggs and there's borage, spinach or other leafy dark greens around, she knows what to do.
Consider all the ways humans come up with to (incorrectly) do gender identity on guinea fowl. That's why I have a cock named "Mia. See, we aren't that smart. "😄

Add in the human trait of believing other animals are just "poor dumb animals." We don't understand how they communicate, so they must not communicate. That's our folly. I think a lot of instincts that we once had we've forgotten given to convenience. We have others telling us what to eat, what meds to use, etc. But if those conveniences disappeared tomorrow, few would know what plant to grab for bleeding or upset stomach, or which of those pretty flowers we plant are edible or poisonous. Yet animals romp through flower beds without eating lilies but munching on dandelions. Guineas will bypass onions (or pull them out of the ground), but chow down on the chives next to them. If a hen is dropping shellless eggs and there's borage, spinach or other leafy dark greens around, she knows what to do.
Consider all the ways humans come up with to (incorrectly) do gender identity on guinea fowl. That's why I have a cock named "Mia. See, we aren't that smart. "😄
Oh...I believe they can communicate. They are NOT shy with their communication

Back
Top Bottom