Too stupid to live

They've grown considerably since I posted this question and totally agree with you about watching them. Well said!
Yes, after I posted I realized you'd posted earlier in year. The site has a habit of showing me things that aren't current as if they are. Either that or our thread hasn't been very active. I need to be more attentive. 😉

Yes, after I posted I realized you'd posted earlier in year. The site has a habit of showing me things that aren't current as if they are. Either that or our thread hasn't been very active. I need to be more attentive. 😉
No worries! I'll take all the help I can get.

Guineas tend to never shut up. Much of their talk is a quiet melodic sound that is pleasant to listen to..
I don't mind the shouting and knew what I was signing myself up for. I also like their little sing-song chirps. Sometimes they'll come to me if I do their little "he-woo" whistle.

Oh...I believe they can communicate. They are NOT shy with their communication
Oh I don't mean the noise. Example- I thought I was being sneaky going through eggs from Numi's nest when she wasn't there. A young hen perched on the roost watched me, then hopped down and ran out to the run. Just as fast that hen AND Numi shot back in to coop and took up positions on the nest, glaring at me. Little snitch. There hadn't been a raucous, no one was screaming about the sky falling, but somehow she made it known that I was rifling through Numi's nest.
To us, all PG keets look the same. Try adding a stray to a hen's brood sometime. She knows, and she's not nice about it.🙄

Oh I don't mean the noise. Example- I thought I was being sneaky going through eggs from Numi's nest when she wasn't there. A young hen perched on the roost watched me, then hopped down and ran out to the run. Just as fast that hen AND Numi shot back in to coop and took up positions on the nest, glaring at me. Little snitch. There hadn't been a raucous, no one was screaming about the sky falling, but somehow she made it known that I was rifling through Numi's nest.
To us, all PG keets look the same. Try adding a stray to a hen's brood sometime. She knows, and she's not nice about it.🙄
Ha. Busted! Sneaky little buggers.

I see people always saying to sneak in new flock members at night or sneaking new little ones under a hen.

In a guinea flock every member of the flock knows every other member of the flock. They know immediately if someone has tried to sneak a new member in. It usually doesn't turn out well for the newcomer.

I see people always saying to sneak in new flock members at night or sneaking new little ones under a hen.

In a guinea flock every member of the flock knows every other member of the flock. They know immediately if someone has tried to sneak a new member in. It usually doesn't turn out well for the newcomer.
As they grow I'm beginning to understand just how complex and variable their social dynamics are.

They are complex and really need a large group in order to fully experience proper flock dynamics.
I definitely should have started with more. Unfortunately, at this point in the season I don't have time to be dealing with keets or going through the (as I understand) complex process of flock introductions. So of the GFs want more friends, they're just gonna have to make them.

Back
Top Bottom