Too Windy?

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
My first ever chickens (barred rock and Easter eggers) are 8 weeks old and are just starting to spend time outside as it's been so so cold. Today winds are going to be 30 mph with gusts up to 60. Will they be ok or should I bring them in (they stil sleep inside)

Also, the next couple of days will be in the 40s and rainy..will they be ok outside?

Thank you so much!

My first ever chickens (barred rock and Easter eggers) are 8 weeks old and are just starting to spend time outside as it's been so so cold. Today winds are going to be 30 mph with gusts up to 60. Will they be ok or should I bring them in (they stil sleep inside)

Also, the next couple of days will be in the 40s and rainy..will they be ok outside?

Thank you so much!
Welcome to BYC!
Leave the door open and let them decide.
Some members of my flock enjoyed going out to save worms from drowning on very rainy day when the air temp was only in the high thirties with wind gusts. They looked like drowned rats but dried off nice and clean and fluffy by morning.
Others are more wimpy and won't go out if it's too cold or too windy.

With gusts that high, and they are so little, I’d bring them in out of the high winds. My chickens HATE windy days. I truly believe they cross their legs during windy days bc they do not lay on really windy days.

Rain, that is ok if they have some shelter. 40s should not be an issue for fully feathered chicks. But shelter for the rain is needed.

Enjoy your new chicks!

8 weeks old sounds kind of young to me. However, I have only hatched using a broody hen. In my experience, Momma is still caring for and making decisions for the chicks at that age. They can also huddle together with Momma if they are chilled.

How long have they been outside at this point? If they know how to get in and out of the coop without issue, in order to shelter from rain and wind (and bonus points if you have areas they can shelter in out in the run as well), they should fine.

If they haven't shown that they know how to reliably take shelter from storms, and the coop is roomy enough and ventilated enough, then I would consider locking them inside the coop if needed.

Back
Top Bottom