Top 10 Best Treats for Your Chickens

jojobobo61

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Arizona
If you love your chickens as mutch as I do, you want to always give them the best, most nutritious, treats that you can. To make this easy for you, I put togather a list of the top-ten best treats to feed your flock, enjoy;

Number 10
Bread
Bread is mostly a good treat for your chooks accept it is high in callories and if you feed them too mutch it might expand in there stomachs causing discomfort.

Number 9
Cereal
Cereal is a yummy and healthy treat for your chooks, as long as it is not highly sugared like fruity pebles or lucky charms.

Number 8
Eggs
Scrambled eggs are high in protien and delicious just make sure there cooked so your chooks don't want to start eating there own eggs.

Number 7
Apple Sauce
Apple sauce is a tasty, healthy, vegan, food for your chooks, but if you make it yourself be sure its has no seeds in it, as seeds contain cyanide, witch in large quantities can make them sick.

Number 6
Grapes
Grapes are vegan, tasty, and very healthy, just make sure they're seedless and for chicks cut them in half to make swallowing easier.

Number 5
Berries
Berries are always good as long as they're not sugared.

Number 4
Meal Worms
Meal worms are by far every chooks favorite food and are high in protien, the only problems are that they're not vegan and expensive.

Number 3
Yogurt
Yogurt is tasty and great for your bird's digestive system, plain yogurt is better because flavored most likly has lots of sugar.

Number 2
Pasta
Pasta is a very tasty treat for your chooks and its is also fun to watch them eat it, how ever not very healthy.

Number 1
Watermelon
Watermelon is my favorite treat to feed my birds, it is healthy, vegan, tasty, refreshing, and can be eaten even with the seeds, as long as you cut it in half.

I hope this list was helpful, please leave in the comments below what your favorite treat is for your chickens!

Alright, here are mine. I don't overdo the treats though.

10. Clover (and pretty much any other weed) - they love it and it keeps the yolks nice and orange.
9. Meat scraps - they'll clean a ham bone faster than you can blink! Great extra protein when they are molting. Cooked eggs are a hit too.
8. fruit from my trees - anything that ends up with bugs is theirs! (my first coop is in my orchard)
7. oatmeal - sometimes with yogurt. Great on cold days to warm them up.
6. Cheerios - can you tell I have kids?
5. carrot/beet tops - gone in a flash.
4. watermelon and strawberries - yummy!
3. Bread - any kind, they're not picky.
2. macaroni and cheese, always a hit (so are spaggetti noodles)
1. scratch or mealworms - it's a toss up.

The only things my chickens like to eat are watermelon, pasta/noodles, tomatoes, and yogurt. I have tried every other treat, but they shake there heads and walk away.

Wheat, oats, strawberries, berries off a tree(don't know what kind), noodles, rice, watermelon, homemade bread, and bugs(especially moths).

Oatmeal, oatmeal and oatmeal.
D.gif

or........oatmeal with swiss chard chopped up or oatmeal with broccoli, or whatever healthy garden thing I can find. They just love steel cut oats...cooked or not.

Have only just recently tried dried mealy worms with them, not the live ones yet. They will eat the dried but are not agah-agah over them.

COOKED FISH
YOGURT MIXED WITH LAYER PELLETS AND/OR FRUIT
SQUASH THAT GETS TO BIG TO EAT
WATERMELON
BLUEBERRIES
GRAPES
KALE
MEAL WORMS
SCRATCH GRAINS IN THE GATORADE BOTTLE TOY
TOMATOES THEY PECKED ALREADY GRRR!
DRYERS ALL FRUIT POPSICLES

My chickens have yet to standup for Animal Rights, they still eat meat.

1. Yogurt- they love it plain or mixed with any overripe fruit I have laying on the counter.
2. Bananas- I usually have to cut these up for them but its a great winter treat.
3. Eggs- scrambled/hardboiled doesn't matter. They inhale them.
4. Mealworms- I pick up a 20oz can of them at Lowes for $6 and it's gone in a day.
5. Mice- Fresh dead from the trap or running live though the hen house. If they only hunted at night, they would out do my cat.
6. Watermelon- I like it because it's hydrating and it keeps the little buggers busy longer than a can of mealworms.
7. Berries- Whether it's robbing my raspberry patch, currant bush, or anyother kind of berry that's on the "Old Produce" rack, they can't get enough.
8. June Bugs- When these things come out, they're everywhere and the chickens are great at picking them out of the kiddie pool every morning.
9. Potato grubs- I like that they eat these because even being a grown man, these critters give me the creeps.
10. Wintertime Hay Tea- if you couldn't tell from the name, it's tea I make for my coop-bound birds during winter by soaking a big handfull of hay in 5gal of hot water, straining it, and filling their waterers. Nothing like a nice cup of tea before falling asleep in your 14F bedroom!
hc

My chickens have yet to standup for Animal Rights, they still eat meat.

5. Mice- Fresh dead from the trap or running live though the hen house. If they only hunted at night, they would out do my cat.

10. Wintertime Hay Tea- if you couldn't tell from the name, it's tea I make for my coop-bound birds during winter by soaking a big handfull of hay in 5gal of hot water, straining it, and filling their waterers. Nothing like a nice cup of tea before falling asleep in your 14F bedroom!
hc
Very funny! mine woud eat meat too, but the only meat they get is fish cause we catch a ton and have leftovers....... teenagers polish off all other meat scraps, Dryer's popcicles are stolen from the hands of little slow neighbor kids, and OMG! I hate to think of what they'd do to a live mouse, They are brutal to the cats and I don't trust them with the foster kittens! Hmmm like the "hay tea" idea!

Back
Top Bottom