Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

Pics
I would imagine that folks are giving the spinach to chickens that are in a run all of the time. Or, just in the winter. That's when I give spinach.

Pretty much this - we just got out of winter, all the grass and greens in my run are gone now, and spinach is something that we eat that the chickens also enjoy. I give them very little, just bits and pieces I end up with after washing spinach for dinner.

Spinach interferes with calcium absorption, so chickens should only get it in moderation.

Just speculation here ....  Spinach is practically useless to humans nutritionally unless its cooked....   I wonder if that difference applies to chickens as well?

Another option is Kale wich is an excellent nutritional resource for all and is cold hearty enough to grow most places year round.

deb
That's exactly what I was going to say. Kale. I grow it on the summer and feed them a little here and there. In the winter, more. Interesting that some like it.. some don't.

I got my kale going too late in the fall so it never got out of mini size (now that it's warming up it's starting to grow again) but when I did buy kale for my household, yes, my chickens got kale as well. I happen to like kale more than spinach, but my husband vastly prefers spinach, hence we usually have more spinach around and so more spinach scraps (and carrot tops... we have way more carrot tops than anything else) made it to the chickens versus kale scraps.

Hello all :) Okay, This Red Door Coop lady misunderstood I think when it came to sun flower seeds! [I'll use my brain injury as an excuse :) ] I know my Chick-ens love them but thought I could give the Whole seed! Duh! They were of course, NOT interested in the ones I would not painstakenly shell for them! WHAT was I thinking? They do not have the bird ability like others of their kind to crack the shells! I bought a really big bag cheap ( did I say cheap? , really cheap) and now the local birds will enjoy them rapturously I'm sure. I could use some photos of your "runs" for your girls. I have a lot of property but we live next door to mink. I would like to let my girls out on the "real" ground at some point and have the sun and air and we can do that but some visual ideas would be wonderful! Here's to a bawkeautiful day!

I love reading about what other people's chickens are picky about when it comes to food. Maybe we can have a picky-eater thread.

Hello all :) Okay, This Red Door Coop lady misunderstood I think when it came to sun flower seeds! [I'll use my brain injury as an excuse :) ] I know my Chick-ens love them but thought I could give the Whole seed! Duh! They were of course, NOT interested in the ones I would not painstakenly shell for them! WHAT was I thinking? They do not have the bird ability like others of their kind to crack the shells! I bought a really big bag cheap ( did I say cheap? , really cheap) and now the local birds will enjoy them rapturously I'm sure. I could use some photos of your "runs" for your girls. I have a lot of property but we live next door to mink. I would like to let my girls out on the "real" ground at some point and have the sun and air and we can do that but some visual ideas would be wonderful! Here's to a bawkeautiful day!

They're just not used to the sunflowers that's all. My birds would gobble up whole sunflower seeds all day long if they could.
roll.png

This is what Purina said about treats:
Herbs and spices are generally safe for your chickens, and despite having a very limited number of taste buds, they’ll pick around what they don’t like.

Be aware that not all fruits and vegetables are safe for chickens to eat. Below is a list to help make sure you keep your birds safe.

Greens are great for hens, as they can result in darker, richer yolks. Lettuce, kale, turnip greens and chard are great greens options. Watermelon, strawberries and blueberries are common fruits.

More importantly, there are foods to avoid feeding your birds:
• Onions and garlic are not recommended, as they can give your eggs an off-flavor
• Avocado pits and skins contain a potential toxin called persin
• White potato peels that have green areas contain a toxin known as solanine, which can be fatal
• Undercooked or dried beans contain a toxin known as hemagglutinin
• Rhubarb contains anthraquinones, which can have a laxative effect. Rhubarb damaged by severe cold can be poisonous to chickens, due to the high concentration of oxalic acid
• Never feed moldy or rotten foods to your birds
• Very salty foods will result in excessively wet feces and may be toxic if enough is eaten

And remember to follow the 90/10 rule: 90% of the diet should be a complete feed and 10% can be treats and snacks.

To learn more, click here: Treats & Snacks: Are They Good for My Hens?
At least 90% of your layers’ total diet should be the complete layer feed. Extra grains, treats or scraps can dilute the balanced nutrition of the layer feed and may leave the birds subclinically deficient in several nutrients, especially calcium. Balanced nutrition can also help maintain adequate bird body condition. Birds that are overweight or underweight are known to produce lower quality eggs and can even stop production all together.

Last edited:

I love to spoil my chickens, but not that much. Shelling BOSS for my birds would be like me peeling grapes for my wife - not happening!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom