Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Subscribing!

The only incubators I know anything about are the noisy, feathered, sometimes dysfunctional variety so I am here to learn!
yuckyuck.gif

Also subscribing!

We haven't tried hatching anything for a while now so I won't try to give tips since I'm a little rusty haha

But we do have a batch of eggs in the incubator right now. It's a styro hovabator 1602N, with an incutherm plus probe thermometer. It's worked in the past hopefully it will work this time. Temp had stayed in the 99.3-101.0 range, not consistent I know... but oh well. Humidity is in the 45-55% range.

I have a a self turning digital temperature controlled one. no humidity control just a space for water underneath. have ran 24 eggs over 4 runs. had 2 hatch. 1 dead and 21 what I presumed where infertile as nothing changed inside no blood lines. they were bought over ebay. does that sound fesable or is it poor incubating. temp set 37.5. water never allowed to dry

Following!
I've used the Hova-Bator 1602N, Farm Innovators 4200, and Brinsea Ovation 56EX (review I wrote here if it helps). I am currently running all three right now (all other times were solo efforts), but I have to say, it's awfully nice and helpful NOT having to check the Brinsea four or more times per day (and night)...
Can't wait to see what others say!

Last edited:
Got the money? Go with a brinsea. They're super reliable, stable, and easy to use. Just make sure to calibrate them. Their only downside is the price, which is about $500. Second choice would likely be a Genesis Hovabator. They're styros, but many people swear by them. I don't recommend the LG models - people swear at them instead of by them.
wink.png

If you have lots of time to babysit them, you can get decent hatches, they're just a ton more work. Definitely not set-and-forget.
Love my Brinsea. It's like "Hatching for Dummies." Even from the first hatch I've had close to 100% hatch rate with my own eggs. You should be able to do better than $500.00. My Brinsea Octogan 20 with lots of extras (It was a gift.) was just over $300.00 and you may be able to get a gently used one.

Love my Brinsea. It's like "Hatching for Dummies." Even from the first hatch I've had close to 100% hatch rate with my own eggs. You should be able to do better than $500.00. My Brinsea Octogan 20 with lots of extras (It was a gift.) was just over $300.00 and you may be able to get a gently used one.

Couldn't agree more about "Hatching for Dummies!"

I definitely meant to directly address cost: my Brinsea Ovation 56EX (true to the "56" for chicken eggs; 48 for duck eggs) was just under $500 after a coupon (bought it in November).

Last edited:
I had a similar experience but found the post office must have x-rayed one box. All losses were one box and the other I lost maybe 2. In addition. I have a brand new Brinsea Eco 20 which lost it's fan the day before hatch. And I lost many eggs that were on lock down. They did replace it but not in time. I had to buy an emergency back up at TSC in the morning and who can afford that?

Back
Top Bottom