Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

I have an inexpensive Janoel 12 incubator that I got on Ebay. So far it's worked really well. I don't measure the humidity, but I am able to set the temp.

My first hatch was about a month ago and I had a lot working against me. My eggs were from Meyer and from what I've heard, shipped eggs have a lower hatch rate. On day 7, I had a power outage for about 9 hours. I wasn't home, so I couldn't rescue the eggs. They were stone cold, but I left them in the bator anyway and pressed on. On day 21, 7 out of my original 8 eggs hatched!

I'm currently on day 7 of my next hatch and I have a mixture of Copper Marans and Olive Egger. I went with local eggs this time. I wish I could candle these eggs, but I can't see anything. Finger's crossed that this hatch is as successful as the last one.

As far as incubators brinsea and 1588 genesis. I have a 20 adv. And 2 1588s on preset and one adjustable. These hold temp great and I get excellent hatch rates. These are pretty much set and forget bators. Once the are set right.

I don't recommend the new LG digitals I had a still air and forced air just didn't have the time to monitor them well enough.

Purchased a 1502 cabinet right after Christmas. Have hatched 1 batch in it and so far am very pleased.

But even on the more expensive incubators always double check the temp and humidity with known a to be accurate thermometer and hydrometer . I use a brinsea spot check for temp accurate to .1 degree f.

For egg selection clean uniform in shape and size.

For humidity I try to keep it at 20 to 35 percent during incubation. Then raise humidity to 75 plus for lockdown and hatch.

Power outages I have a generator. But my 1588s have a 12volt adapter that I can use a car battery if necessary.

Temp spikes I monitor but don't get too concerned on moving the controls unless it is sustained there for an extended period.

Cracked eggs get tossed.

Shipped eggs leave upright in an egg carton for at least 24 hours to settle and acclimate to room temp. Then when I place them in the incubator I don't turn them for 2 days to allow air cells to settle if they were shaken during shipping.

Within the next month I plan on purchasing a digital GQF cabinet. Can't wait!!!!
this weeks hatch from a hovabator

I have never incubated eggs before but will try this spring for the first time! After hours of reading on the forum and checking out different products, I just purchased a incuview incubator from incubatorwarehouse.com. It seems to be of good quality for the price and I can't wait for it to arrive. Unfortunately they are back ordered so I probably won't get it until late march, early april...

So, this should be fun! I haven't had chickens in almost a year now, because I moved to a new house. I am sooo ready now! Now time to shop for eggs for hatching...and read all about how to do it so they survive on my first attempt!!

I have never incubated eggs before but will try this spring for the first time! After hours of reading on the forum and checking out different products, I just purchased a incuview incubator from incubatorwarehouse.com. It seems to be of good quality for the price and I can't wait for it to arrive. Unfortunately they are back ordered so I probably won't get it until late march, early april...

So, this should be fun! I haven't had chickens in almost a year now, because I moved to a new house. I am sooo ready now! Now time to shop for eggs for hatching...and read all about how to do it so they survive on my first attempt!!
I have hatched them under a 100watt desk lamp on an open countertop. I'd mist with water once a day,and turn them twice a day. If the egg felt warm to my cheek,I figured the heat was right. It worked. :)

I have a digital little giant,a hovabator(wafer) and a farm rite or some such. For me the hovabator has the most consistent hatches. The LG temp. is very inconsistent and the reading can be off by up to 10 degrees depending on where its set. The farm rite(?) Has a knob that is entirely too touchy(IMO) I finally stuck a needle at the set point for a quick reference. The easiest to use (IMO) is the hovabator.

Great info everyone. I don't have anything to add just want to subscribe as I plan on trying to incubate eggs in a couple months if my homemade bator passes the initial test run and hubby agrees to it. :D

I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity. I know quite a few people that have been helped by learning this method. Dry incubation as it is often (and to my thinking wrongly) named is nothing new, but when you add the explanation of humidity and a way to monitor it, is one of the best methods for many.

Thanks for that link; it was really helpful reading. I am about to incubate my first batch of Pilgrim goose eggs and the hatching manual with my incubator (a Lyon Turn-X from GQF) said to run it at about 50 to 60% humidity right away, whereas I have read different things here on BYC that say to run around 20 to 30%. So I was confused. I think I will start by following the manufacturer's recommendations but monitoring the air sac and adjusting from there.

Last edited:
I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity. I know quite a few people that have been helped by learning this method. Dry incubation as it is often (and to my thinking wrongly) named is nothing new, but when you add the explanation of humidity and a way to monitor it, is one of the best methods for many.

Thanks for that link; it was really helpful reading. I am about to incubate my first batch of Pilgrim goose eggs and the hatching manual with my incubator (a Lyon Turn-X from GQF) said to run it at about 50 to 60% humidity right away, whereas I have read different things here on BYC that say to run around 20 to 30%. So I was confused. I think I will start by following the manufacturer's recommendations but monitoring the air sac and adjusting from there.

Disclaimer. I know nothing about hatching goose eggs, but found this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/goose-egg-hatching

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom