Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
I had the same question, and 3 different local chickenkeepers said no withdrawl period (it was for adding the pour on ivermectin to water for ingestion as a yearly worming) and I'm still hesitant myself, as I am still treating my coop for mites and didn't want to stress them with both poisons, and I want more input from those with more knowledge.
Anyone that said there is no withdrawal when using ivermectin is misinformed, and anyone that said you could put the pour on in water is also misinformed because it's not water soluble.

Would be best to use permethrin spray on both the chickens and the coop. If you don't want to disturb your broodies, use the ivermectin topically.

Ok so question.. Plz...

After asking and researching, (and finding the answer here) i found out that 1) no my birds werent molting. 2) my ladies werent getting gang raped. 3) my roos were being very much gentlemen.. That i have a lice problem... )I had checked thier bottoms and under wings but never saw any) however, today while cuddling my baby roo.. I felt crawlies... Agad.. They were little pale yellow critters.... I immediately grabbed him up again and checked where my arm was under his belly.. And yup lil crawlies.... Ugh...

So question is.. Im reading on here to get permithian (sp). I will need ALOT with approximately 30 roos n hens plus coops and runs... Soo can i get pure permithian and mix myself? What would be yalls recommendations on ratio? Do i saturate the birds? At nite i assume? It wont hurt them? Do i saturate the coops and runs as well? What about bales of hay kept next too the coops? (I do know to completely change out bedding and nest boxes..)

Also... Are these the same type of critters that kids get? Do i have to completely spray down house? (Chickens never in house) do i need to check my hair as well? What about my other animals? (Cats and dogs)

Im so sorry about the hundred questions... But im beginging to thing yall the only ones telling me straight... And i thank you for that..

So question is.. Im reading on here to get permithian (sp). I will need ALOT with approximately 30 roos n hens plus coops and runs... Soo can i get pure permithian and mix myself? What would be yalls recommendations on ratio? Do i saturate the birds? At nite i assume? It wont hurt them? Do i saturate the coops and runs as well? What about bales of hay kept next too the coops? (I do know to completely change out bedding and nest boxes..)
Just buy any 10% permethrin and use per the directions, which should be 5 ml per quart. One 8 ounce bottle makes many gallons. :D
Also... Are these the same type of critters that kids get? Do i have to completely spray down house? (Chickens never in house) do i need to check my hair as well? What about my other animals? (Cats and dogs)
No need to wory about you, your kids, or your house, just treat the chickens and their coop.
Im so sorry about the hundred questions... But im beginging to thing yall the only ones telling me straight... And i thank you for that..
Ask all the question you want, that's what BYC is for!

Just buy any 10% permethrin and use per the directions, which should be 5 ml per quart. One 8 ounce bottle makes many gallons. :D

No need to wory about you, your kids, or your house, just treat the chickens and their coop.

Ask all the question you want, that's what BYC is for!

Oooo i think i figured out this quote n reply thing...

So how much do i put on the individual bird? What if i get in his eyes?

Thank you for all the help, freaking out less now... Lol

Oooo i think i figured out this quote n reply thing...

So how much do i put on the individual bird? What if i get in his eyes?

Thank you for all the help, freaking out less now... Lol
I think the directions say 1/2 ounce (15 ml) per bird, but don't worry too much about that, just apply some on the vent, under each wing, each drumstick, each leg, and maybe a little on the neck. If you spray carefully you won't get it in their eyes.

Here's a pic, sorry it's blurry they are so tiny. View attachment 1076148
Didn't see a reply yet. That looks like a slater (looked it up and they are known as wood lice) to me. My girls like eating slaters, are your chooks interested in them as lunch?

I have a general question for the more experience chicken keepers. Do you observe that bugs "go for" particular chickens and leave others alone? I had one (older) girl with a bare bum and I suspect it was bugs. I've also recently seen lice on my (young) silkies (on their FACES, I was shocked) and one of my (young) leghorn-crosses, but the big girls (other than ugly bum) and also the leghorn's slightly bigger "sister" don't seem to have any. Do the bugs like "young meat"? Do bigger/older chickens get "tougher" for the bugs, or do they just get better at dust-bathing and picking them off? Have you noticed this selectivity in who the bugs jump on?

Do you observe that bugs "go for" particular chickens and leave others alone? I had one (older) girl with a bare bum and I suspect it was bugs. I've also recently seen lice on my (young) silkies (on their FACES, I was shocked) and one of my (young) leghorn-crosses, but the big girls (other than ugly bum) and also the leghorn's slightly bigger "sister" don't seem to have any. Do the bugs like "young meat"? Do bigger/older chickens get "tougher" for the bugs, or do they just get better at dust-bathing and picking them off? Have you noticed this selectivity in who the bugs jump on?
Face lice seem to really like Silkies, Faverolles, and peafowl, so I would say yes.

Back
Top Bottom