Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Topic of the Week (3).png

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly eat them, sell them or hatch them, but for the ones I don't I usually feed to my dogs. I feed them whole and raw and they eat them shell and all. I also save all of the shells from the eggs I eat to go into my garden under my plants (we lack calcium in my soil) to help with blossom end rot. If all else fails, there's always the option to feed them back to the birds (I feed mine back raw in egg form, it doesn't cause egg-eating, contrary to popular belief. My chickens won't touch an egg unless I crack it first, even if I toss it in their pen. If I don't crack it they don't touch it.) or to compost them. They're perfect nutrition for your chickens, and great for your soil too.

Back
Top Bottom